GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Feeding During Extremely Hot Weather? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/204625-feeding-during-extremely-hot-weather.html)

JB[_6_] 26-07-2012 10:18 PM

Feeding During Extremely Hot Weather?

I've cut back on feeding my fish in this hot weather. In fact, I'm only
feeding every other day. Seems like I'd read something years back about
fish going into a restful state when it gets extremely hot. Is this correct?

I want to do the right thing and I've got plenty of food.

~jan, what say you?

Phyllis & Jim?

~ jan[_3_] 31-07-2012 05:26 PM

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:18:53 EDT, JB wrote:

I've cut back on feeding my fish in this hot weather. In fact, I'm only
feeding every other day. Seems like I'd read something years back about
fish going into a restful state when it gets extremely hot. Is this correct?

I want to do the right thing and I've got plenty of food.

~jan, what say you?

Phyllis & Jim?

The biggest problem when it is hot is the temperature of the water, the
bio-bugs are not as efficient when it gets 80F and above. Though I have
noticed my fish aren't as active at those temps, but that could be due to
lower O2 in warmer water perhaps? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

JB[_6_] 01-08-2012 07:07 AM

On 7/31/2012 10:26 AM, ~ jan wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:18:53 EDT, wrote:

I've cut back on feeding my fish in this hot weather. In fact, I'm only
feeding every other day. Seems like I'd read something years back about
fish going into a restful state when it gets extremely hot. Is this correct?

I want to do the right thing and I've got plenty of food.

~jan, what say you?

Phyllis& Jim?

The biggest problem when it is hot is the temperature of the water, the
bio-bugs are not as efficient when it gets 80F and above. Though I have
noticed my fish aren't as active at those temps, but that could be due to
lower O2 in warmer water perhaps? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

So then, a benefit of not feeding as much in this extremely hot weather
is to reduce the amount of fish waste which might otherwise foul cooler
water?

~ jan[_3_] 04-08-2012 01:38 AM

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 01:07:10 EDT, JB wrote:

So then, a benefit of not feeding as much in this extremely hot weather
is to reduce the amount of fish waste which might otherwise foul cooler
water?

Right. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

JB[_6_] 04-08-2012 08:59 PM

On 8/3/2012 6:38 PM, ~ jan wrote:
So then, a benefit of not feeding as much in this extremely hot weather
is to reduce the amount of fish waste which might otherwise foul cooler
water?

I didn't say what I meant but you understood anyway! ;-)

So then, a benefit of not feeding as much in this extremely hot weather
is to reduce the amount of fish waste which otherwise would not foul
cooler water?

~ jan[_3_] 08-08-2012 02:11 AM

On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 14:59:57 EDT, JB wrote:

On 8/3/2012 6:38 PM, ~ jan wrote:
So then, a benefit of not feeding as much in this extremely hot weather
is to reduce the amount of fish waste which might otherwise foul cooler
water?

I didn't say what I meant but you understood anyway! ;-)

So then, a benefit of not feeding as much in this extremely hot weather
is to reduce the amount of fish waste which otherwise would not foul
cooler water?

I figured you meant to say warmer water. :-) We're hitting the 100s+, 2
days with highs of 104-105F so far. Plants love it, I'm not so thrilled.
Sticking close to the AC, thus feeling cabin fever. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 11-08-2012 01:51 AM

Feeding During Extremely Hot Weather?

Our fish feed less in hot weather. I have not seen any studies on bugs and
heat. Our lettuce is going bananas and the hyacinth evidently have troubl
e competing. The hyacinths are yellow! When we pull a bunch of lettuce, t
he hyacinth improve some. This is the first time that has happened.

~ jan[_3_] 11-08-2012 02:18 AM

Feeding During Extremely Hot Weather?

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:51:20 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Our fish feed less in hot weather. I have not seen any studies on bugs and
heat. Our lettuce is going bananas and the hyacinth evidently have troubl
e competing. The hyacinths are yellow! When we pull a bunch of lettuce, t
he hyacinth improve some. This is the first time that has happened.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/nitribactfacts.html

"The temperature for optimum growth of nitrifying bacteria is between
77-86° F (25-30° C)."

At that upper end, like above 82F they do slow down. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us