Old 23-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk
Default HELP....black jelly blobs in my pond

I appear to have posted in the wrong place..so will try again!

Hello!

HELP!! A couple of weeks ago I thought I had some late toad spawn...strings of black jelly blobs..but I looked this evening and the whole of my wildlife pond (c.15'x5'x4' deep) is alive with this horrible black stuff like strings of beads of varying size.
My pond is just over 2 years old and well established and home to newts, frogs, toads, dragonfly larvae, water beetles..and seemingly every pond creature going. (No fish). This is the first time I have seen anything like this..it is not in the smaller wildlife pond which is very nearby.
I have photos but as I am very new I do not know how to post them.
Should I scoop this stuff out and destroy it? It looks like something out of Quatermass...
(I live in Suffolk, if that helps)
Old 23-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

Trying to post photo to go with my original query...
Old 23-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

Last try....
Attached Thumbnails
HELP....black jelly blobs in my pond-p1090504.jpg
Old 25-08-2012, 02:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Try this link. ehow has a bunch of helpful pond stuff. Let us know what you think of their stuff.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5571398_kill...ish-ponds.html

Old 25-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

[quote=Phyllis and Jim;967426]Try this link. ehow has a bunch of helpful pond stuff. Let us know what you think of their stuff.

Thank you....I cannot use any chemical because the pond is a fish-free wildlife pond, teeming with newts/tadpoles/frogs/diving beetles/nymphs etc.. We are also organic growers and never use any chemicals so it would go against our conscience to use anything unatural.
However, one of the links on the page you gave me gave advice..get the muck out of the bottom of the pond and put in barley straw, both of which I will do! I have fished huge bucketsful of the jelly out and the pond looks better, although it is still lurking in places. I have also fished out great amounts of vegetation..it is quite possible there was too much in there. Thank you again for your reply. XXX

Old 26-08-2012, 02:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Deliah, you described string of beads, but since you're familiar with toads
I assume you know what toad eggs look like? They are like jelly strings
with little black beads in a line. Course they're tiny.... just a bit
bigger than the period on the end of this sentence. ~ jan

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 12:56:03 EDT, Delilah
wrote:

Phyllis and Jim;967426 Wrote:
Try this link. ehow has a bunch of helpful pond stuff. Let us know
what you think of their stuff.

Thank you....I cannot use any chemical because the pond is a fish-free
wildlife pond, teeming with newts/tadpoles/frogs/diving beetles/nymphs
etc.. We are also organic growers and never use any chemicals so it
would go against our conscience to use anything unatural.
However, one of the links on the page you gave me gave advice..get the
muck out of the bottom of the pond and put in barley straw, both of
which I will do! I have fished huge bucketsful of the jelly out and the
pond looks better, although it is still lurking in places. I have also
fished out great amounts of vegetation..it is quite possible there was
too much in there. Thank you again for your reply. XXX

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-08-2012, 06:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Remove some of the jelly blobs and put in a
jar of pond water. Bring into the house. Cover
the jar with some screening and a rubber band
lest the things hatch and come down the hallway
in the middle of the night (been there, done that).
If you have kids get out a magnifying glass and watch
them develop. When whatever hatches ID them via the
interwebz and let them go in the pond or other natural
waterway that is public.
k :-)

Old 27-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Remove some of the jelly blobs and put in a
jar of pond water. Bring into the house. Cover
the jar with some screening and a rubber band
lest the things hatch and come down the hallway
in the middle of the night (been there, done that).
If you have kids get out a magnifying glass and watch
them develop. When whatever hatches ID them via the
interwebz and let them go in the pond or other natural
waterway that is public.
k :-)
Umm....already been proved to be an horrible algae attack...not risking growing any in my house for fear of an alien invasion! I have scooped out masses of the stuff and removed half the plantlife in my pond...no more jelly has evolved and the water looks clear. Will clean out the pond in the Autumn..lots of stinky yuk at the bottom, together with rotting leaves may have contributed to this. At least the newts and frogs do not seem affected by the black/green jelly invasion. Thank you all for your help XXX

Rate This Thread: