GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dividing Iris? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/100761-dividing-iris.html)

Greg Cooper 31-07-2005 06:42 AM

Dividing Iris?

Does anyone know when is the best time to divide iris plants.
They are in kind of overgrown clumps right now.

Thanks.

Reel Mckoi 31-07-2005 06:51 AM

"Greg Cooper" wrote in message
Does anyone know when is the best time to divide iris plants.
They are in kind of overgrown clumps right now.

=======================
I've done mine both in early spring and in the fall with great success. I
would think if you want the most flowers, do them in the fall.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Roy 31-07-2005 02:36 PM

Iris is not too fussy when it comes to dividing them. I do mine
anytime during the year.

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 05:42:29 GMT, Greg Cooper
wrote:

===Does anyone know when is the best time to divide iris plants.
===They are in kind of overgrown clumps right now.
===
===Thanks.

"The original frugal ponder"

~ jan JJsPond.us 31-07-2005 09:07 PM

wrote:

Does anyone know when is the best time to divide iris plants.
They are in kind of overgrown clumps right now.

Anytime after they've bloomed in the spring. If you do it earlier in the
spring, they very likely won't bloom that year (plus, the part that bloomed
needs to be cut out and tossed, it won't bloom again). ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Greg Cooper 01-08-2005 08:29 AM

Thanks to all that replied

I guess I can get busy dividing anytime I like now.

My local Raccoon came by a couple nights ago to make a start on things
he made a fair mess of things so I might as well finish the job.

Cheers.

Reel Mckoi 01-08-2005 07:16 PM

Thanks to all that replied

I guess I can get busy dividing anytime I like now.

My local Raccoon came by a couple nights ago to make a start on things
he made a fair mess of things so I might as well finish the job.

Raccoons are the reason we can't have a pond down by the road in front of
our property. We have at least 1/3 acre to utilize in the full sun. I
tried a small pool down there several years ago but the coons were in it
every night trashing the plants and terrorizing the goldfish.