GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How efficient are solar powered pumps? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/100879-how-efficient-solar-powered-pumps.html)

Broadback 02-08-2005 05:03 PM

How efficient are solar powered pumps?

As the header, are they usefully? I am building a small wildlife pool,
and would quite like to have a smaller pool above, pump water from the
lower to higher one and let it "stream" back. I am living in the North
Midlands of the UK, so sunshine is not constant. I realise that the
"stream" would not be constant, but would the system work?
--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.

Reel Mckoi 02-08-2005 05:33 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
As the header, are they usefully? I am building a small wildlife pool,
and would quite like to have a smaller pool above, pump water from the
lower to higher one and let it "stream" back. I am living in the North
Midlands of the UK, so sunshine is not constant. I realise that the
"stream" would not be constant, but would the system work?

=======================
I live in the USA and haven't seen any solar powered pumps here. If your
stream isn't constant I would think it would get stagnant pretty quick.
That would encourage mosquitoes......
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

DavidM 02-08-2005 05:56 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
As the header, are they usefully? I am building a small wildlife pool,
and would quite like to have a smaller pool above, pump water from the
lower to higher one and let it "stream" back. I am living in the North
Midlands of the UK, so sunshine is not constant. I realise that the
"stream" would not be constant, but would the system work?

Here's a solar fountain.
"Low-voltage, floating fountain is a safe, easy way to add some "life" to
your backyard pond! Pump and filter are both included, as are three
interchangeable, variable fountain heads that send a spray up to 24" high.
Only operates when sunlight directly hits the German-engineered solar panel,
but it can be tethered to make sure it doesn't float into shadow areas of
your pond. Pumps up to 40 gals. per hour. 12" in diameter, 2-¾" thick."
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...ept%5Fid=12130

That's a whopping 1.76 fluid ounces per second in direct strong sunlight.
Hardly a trickle in other words. I can dribble faster.

David

~ jan JJsPond.us 03-08-2005 08:45 AM

I had the type with a 12" X 18" solar panel. Sun had to be directly on it,
to work at its best and the pump only lasted 2-3 months. ~ jan

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:03:52 +0100, Broadback wrote:

As the header, are they usefully? I am building a small wildlife pool,
and would quite like to have a smaller pool above, pump water from the
lower to higher one and let it "stream" back. I am living in the North
Midlands of the UK, so sunshine is not constant. I realise that the
"stream" would not be constant, but would the system work?

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~