GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aphids Get rid of. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/101053-aphids-get-rid.html)

paul 06-08-2005 01:58 PM

Aphids Get rid of.

Was doing some reading on these insects but don't understand as a defensive
measure,how one would spray the floating plants and not getting spray into
the water and harm fish.All it is, if i'm correct, is soap diluted with
water, right? Thanks.........

Courageous 06-08-2005 04:22 PM

Was doing some reading on these insects but don't understand as a defensive
measure,how one would spray the floating plants and not getting spray into
the water and harm fish.All it is, if i'm correct, is soap diluted with
water, right? Thanks.........

They sell lady bugs; lady bugs eat aphids.

C//

Reel Mckoi 06-08-2005 04:43 PM

"Courageous" wrote in message

Was doing some reading on these insects but don't understand as a
defensive
measure,how one would spray the floating plants and not getting spray into
the water and harm fish.All it is, if i'm correct, is soap diluted with
water, right? Thanks.........

They sell lady bugs; lady bugs eat aphids.

C//

=====================
But when released very few hang around more than a couple of hours. Better
to remove the plants if possible and spray them with the soap mixture. Hose
them off in a few hours and return them to the pond. It's much cheaper as
well. :-)
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Bob H 06-08-2005 05:30 PM

There are 2 different solutions I am aware of, I am sorry but the names
escape me at the moment (getting old sucks btw) one is made with mint
(smells nice, is the most expensive @$12 for 16 oz) and is quite effective,
the other is made with diaotomiacious earth (I think) cheaper but leaves a
white residue on the plants & works more slowly....the overspray of neither
one will hurt the fish (been there, done that) the third less effective
option is to remove all the dead growth, and scrapethe bugs off the living
leaves off into a plastic bag, seal the bag, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat
:-) did I mention it is the most time and labor intensive...

Lar 06-08-2005 06:08 PM

In article ,
says...
:) Was doing some reading on these insects but don't understand as a defensive
:) measure,how one would spray the floating plants and not getting spray into
:) the water and harm fish.All it is, if i'm correct, is soap diluted with
:) water, right? Thanks.........
:)
:)
:)
Have you tried to submerge the plants and let the fish eat them.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

~ jan JJsPond.us 06-08-2005 06:28 PM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 08:58:16 -0400, "paul" wrote:

Was doing some reading on these insects but don't understand as a defensive
measure,how one would spray the floating plants and not getting spray into
the water and harm fish.All it is, if i'm correct, is soap diluted with
water, right? Thanks.........

Forget the spray, imo, invest in your own mental therapy by getting in the
water and squishing the bugs. One hand under pad, stem between fingers,
other hand squishes. This kills not only the bugs, but remove the eggs.
Usually doing twice, a week apart, takes care of the problem, unless badly
infected. Lily pads aren't the normal fare of aphids because they can't
over winter their eggs on them, many just got blown there by accident, laid
a few eggs and left. The babes don't have wings, so we're stuck with them
(they do lay eggs though which are protected from sprays. Get them both by
squishing.

I rarely find them on stemmed plants, but do same treatment. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Reel Mckoi 06-08-2005 06:48 PM

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
:) Was doing some reading on these insects but don't understand as a
defensive
:) measure,how one would spray the floating plants and not getting spray
into
:) the water and harm fish.All it is, if i'm correct, is soap diluted
with
:) water, right? Thanks.........
:)
:)
:)
Have you tried to submerge the plants and let the fish eat them.

My fish will not eat them. I have rosy reds, GF and koi.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...