Old 11-03-2003, 04:57 PM
REBEL JOE

Default getting ready to open

Can some one tell me when is the best time to do spring cleanning on
pond. I want to make sure I don,t bother the frogs to early is there a
temp to go by. Also when should I start up the veggie filter and falls
again. Theres sttill ice on pond but weather says its going to be in the
42 to 50 range so most of it should melt (about time) this week. This is
our first spring after winter so want to do it right. I also have some
koi I bought in fall and had in tank inside they are a lot bigger now
and am going to put them in pond this year when is the best time to
transfer them. Thanks ahead.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 11-03-2003, 05:21 PM
~ jan

n Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:11:16 -0500 (EST), (REBEL JOE) wrote:

Can some one tell me when is the best time to do spring cleanning on
pond. I want to make sure I don,t bother the frogs to early is there a
temp to go by.

Some will say wait till the koi immune system is stronger, water temp 55F
and up for 2 weeks. Around here, knowing that folks don't always have
enough holding tanks that are big enough, I've been suggesting to do it
ASAP, our water temps are in the 40s. So they can clean, refill and get the
koi back into the pond without the holding tank becoming too warm and
polluted.

Now if you're talking just shop vaccing and not removing koi you can wait
till the 55F & up temp.

Also when should I start up the veggie filter and falls
again.

Filters can be started at 45F if the temp is going to only go up from
there.

eres sttill ice on pond but weather says its going to be in the
42 to 50 range so most of it should melt (about time) this week. This is
our first spring after winter so want to do it right. I also have some
koi I bought in fall and had in tank inside they are a lot bigger now
and am going to put them in pond this year when is the best time to
transfer them. Thanks ahead.

When the water outside in the morning is very near the temp of the water
inside. Some say 10, some say 5 degree difference. I say get it as close as
possible, but also check the pH difference. You may need to adjust the pH
in the holding tank to the pond, if the difference is great this could take
a couple of weeks as you need to adjust it slowly. The closer pH & temp are
from holding tank to pond, the less stress the fish will be in when you
transfer them. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 17-03-2003, 10:56 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I live in Zone 6 Bronx, NY and was wondering if I can start feeding and
cleaning my pond?? The day's are in the 60's and then by the end of the week go
back to high 40's to mid fifty's.

Also does any one know when to start using Microbe-lift Spring/ summer
cleaner???

Thanks,

Sacha
Old 17-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

MISSYMAGICGIRL wrote:
I live in Zone 6 Bronx, NY and was wondering if I can start feeding and
cleaning my pond?? The day's are in the 60's and then by the end of the week go
back to high 40's to mid fifty's.

Also does any one know when to start using Microbe-lift Spring/ summer
cleaner???

Thanks,

Sacha

I have no idea when you should start to use Microbe-Lift.
Why don't you ask where you purchased the product they might
know.

As for feeding the fish wait until the water temperature is
55 degrees and stays that way for several days. Air temps
don't matter, it's the water temp that's important.

When you say cleaning, what are you talking about? If it's
getting leaves out, you can do that with a rake now.
Anything else I'd wait until it's warmer.

--
Bonnie
NJ