GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water Lillies. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/101297-water-lillies.html)

John... 12-08-2005 05:40 PM

Water Lillies.

Hi,got some water lillies in my pond.Question is,do I remove
any lily pads that have gone yellow? Someone told me that
by leaving them in,they can pollute the water and ruin any new pads.

Thanks.
John

Charles 12-08-2005 06:51 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:40:19 +0100, "John..." wrote:

Hi,got some water lillies in my pond.Question is,do I remove
any lily pads that have gone yellow? Someone told me that
by leaving them in,they can pollute the water and ruin any new pads.

Thanks.
John

Remove them. They decay and return nutrients to the water column.
Nothing really bad, it can promote algae. Main reason is that they
look ugly. Old flowers, the same.

John... 12-08-2005 07:32 PM

"Charles" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:40:19 +0100, "John..." wrote:

Hi,got some water lillies in my pond.Question is,do I remove
any lily pads that have gone yellow? Someone told me that
by leaving them in,they can pollute the water and ruin any new pads.

Thanks.
John

Remove them. They decay and return nutrients to the water column.
Nothing really bad, it can promote algae. Main reason is that they
look ugly. Old flowers, the same.

Thanks for the info Charles.
John

San Diego Joe 12-08-2005 10:40 PM

"John..." wrote:

Hi,got some water lillies in my pond.Question is,do I remove
any lily pads that have gone yellow? Someone told me that
by leaving them in,they can pollute the water and ruin any new pads.

Thanks.
John

Yes, remove the pads and also any spent blooms.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.