Old 19-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Broadback

Default Slope advice for wildlife pond please

I am in the UK and am building a wildlife pond. What is the maximum
slope desirable for creatures to get in and out, well out mainly, I
guess they can jump in ? :-) Also should I plant around it for
protection or leave it bare so that domestic cats can't lie in wait?
Old 19-08-2005, 03:42 PM
kathy

Good question. A slope is the way you want
to go and I'd make it fairly gradual, just like
in a natural pond. A common problem in
common ponds is mice, birds and even
toads drowning because they can't get out.

Cover works both ways. It provides safety
for the prey as well as hiding places for the
predator. Some critters may not even approach
or use a pond without cover available. I guess
I'd split the difference, plant cover in some
parts and not in others and hope for the best.

kathy :-) www.blogfromthebog.com
this week's entry - water striders!
Pond 101 page for new pond keepers ~

Old 19-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am in the UK and am building a wildlife pond. What is the maximum slope
desirable for creatures to get in and out, well out mainly, I guess they
can jump in ? :-) Also should I plant around it for protection or leave it
bare so that domestic cats can't lie in wait?

I have groups of plants around my ponds. This way there are places for
frogs and other critters to hide in. Despite the nets small frogs still get
through. Cats aren't a problem where I live. They mainly go after the
field mice, moles and young rabbits.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 19-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback
I am in the UK and am building a wildlife pond. What is the maximum
slope desirable for creatures to get in and out, well out mainly, I
guess they can jump in ? :-) Also should I plant around it for
protection or leave it bare so that domestic cats can't lie in wait?

You would be better to build a plant covered shallow shelf rather than a slope, my wildlife pond's shallow shelf is maybe 2 to 3 inches deep to the soil, 4inches deep to the liner. Also have very little freeboard ie liner showing above the water surface. Sloping liner will be INCREDIBLY slippy especially for a panicing animal.
My fish pond's shoreline is hand tamped cement and there fore rough with an about 1 in 3 slope or less
Old 20-08-2005, 06:52 PM
David Sim

I sloped the edges about 30 degrees (from horizontal) for the top 4 inches
of depth & over-lapped the edges with turf (rolled into the pond). I also
added a few piles of gravel from the margin up to the edge to allow easy
access for the newts etc. They all seem to get in & out alright. My cats get
their far share of frogs & toads but I guess they get them from the long wet
grass rather than the pond itself.

Old 21-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Snooze

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am in the UK and am building a wildlife pond. What is the maximum slope
desirable for creatures to get in and out, well out mainly, I guess they
can jump in ? :-) Also should I plant around it for protection or leave it
bare so that domestic cats can't lie in wait?

If you use a pond liner, put some flat rocks along the shoreline so the
critters can get some traction as they walk in and out. Birds, rodents and
other mammals will come to the pond to drink some water, maybe bathe,
amphibians will come by run their lifecycle.

You will probably want some trees or fence posts near the pond so birds can
check out the area before they come in. Also plant things like water lilies
and aquatic grasses to provide a safe haven for fry, tadpoles and other
small things. If you add aquatic plants, you almost always get a few aquatic
snails.

The snails provide food and help keep the pond clear.