GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   electrical hookup for an inground pool (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/101736-electrical-hookup-inground-pool.html)

[email protected] 22-08-2005 09:53 PM

electrical hookup for an inground pool

What size Wire & GFCI do I need for a 240V 1HP pump

Roy 22-08-2005 10:39 PM

Not enough info given to answer your question...How long is the run
from the source to the pump..how many amps does the pump pull?

On 22 Aug 2005 13:53:31 -0700, wrote:

===What size Wire & GFCI do I need for a 240V 1HP pump

"The original frugal ponder"

Derek Broughton 23-08-2005 02:47 PM

Roy wrote:

Not enough info given to answer your question...How long is the run
from the source to the pump..how many amps does the pump pull?

On 22 Aug 2005 13:53:31 -0700, wrote:

===What size Wire & GFCI do I need for a 240V 1HP pump

Well, 1HP should make it (very) approximately, 3 to 4 amps, so 14ga would
work for a pretty long run, but Roy's right that you haven't given enough
information.

Wire sizing is based on both the current (amps) and voltage. Typically, #14
wire (which is the smallest you can legally use for most AC applications)
will carry 15amps, so that's plenty. Voltage drops over distance, and you
need to increase the size of your wire if you have more than a 1% voltage
drop over that distance. I don't have my tables handy to tell you how far
that would be.
--
derek