GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hello Group (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/10372-hello-group.html)

Cam 14-03-2003 11:32 AM

Hello Group

Complete newbie here. Glad I found this group

I am a fish freak...into Freshwater aquariums mostly (Malawi's). Until now,
that is a couple of weeks ago when we moved into our new place WITH A
GARDEN.....yahooooo. Our garden is pretty small but I have always wanted a
pond. Can someone please point me to a website or some place of interest to
a person who is "setting up" for the first time.

Would it be better to buy a fibreglass pond and just plant into the ground
or is it better to go the full blown plastering/wire mesh route. Pro's Cons?

Any pointers on where to start would be most appreciated. TIA

BenignVanilla 14-03-2003 01:44 PM

Hello Group

"Cam" wrote in message
Complete newbie here. Glad I found this group

I am a fish freak...into Freshwater aquariums mostly (Malawi's). Until

now,
that is a couple of weeks ago when we moved into our new place WITH A
GARDEN.....yahooooo. Our garden is pretty small but I have always wanted a
pond. Can someone please point me to a website or some place of interest

a person who is "setting up" for the first time.

Would it be better to buy a fibreglass pond and just plant into the ground
or is it better to go the full blown plastering/wire mesh route. Pro's

Cons?

Any pointers on where to start would be most appreciated. TIA

Cam,

Welcome to the "Hotel California" of hobbies. You have just checked in. I
too am a newbie, having checked in only last September. My pond is but a
muddy hole right now.

My best suggestions for learning ponding:

1. Post every question you have here, no matter how newbie you think it
might be. Everyone here is happy to respond, and I have personally seen the
same questions asked/answered over and over again, nary the flame.
2. Read a lot of posts. Most every ponder has a web site about his/her pond.
You can learn more from their sites, IMHO, then any book, because they are
DOING.

As for you pond liner...I am going with EPDM for mine, easier to work with
then all other materials.

BV.

Cam 14-03-2003 02:08 PM

Hello Group

BenignVanilla,....LOL.....Nice nik!

Thanks for your advice. My next "noobie" question to you is: What on earth
is EPDM?
Sheesh its going to be long winter for me!!!! :))

Over & Out

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

BenignVanilla 14-03-2003 03:20 PM

Hello Group

"Cam" wrote in message
BenignVanilla,....LOL.....Nice nik!

Thanks for your advice. My next "noobie" question to you is: What on earth
is EPDM?
Sheesh its going to be long winter for me!!!! :))

Over & Out

snip

There are basically four methods for lining your pond.

1. Don't...some areas have such a high content of clay in the soil, that the
ground will hold water forever. No liner is needed. I do not know anyone
with such a pond. I suspect this is so because even the most hard rock
ground will leak eventually, and I am sure the natural surface will leach in
to the water, clouding the water itself.

2. Cement - Pronounced Seeeeee-ment, if you are from some parts of MD,
Con-Crete if you are from Jersey. Cement is often is used in warmer climes
where the heaving of a freezing/thawing ground does not occur on a regular
basis. This type of base is more one of the more difficult methods of lining
a pond, because you need some mason skills. Many See-ment pond owners have
mentioned that leaks are a part of life when you own a See-ment pond. Some
ponders have reported no leaks. I suspect the disparity is geographical.

3. Solid Plastic Shells - These are very common in stores, and can give you
a quick clean finish. The biggest problem with these liners, is you have to
dig a hole that matches the shell. I have not done this, hope never to do
so.

4. EPDM - EPDM is a type of flexible, rubber liner. It is recommended for
ponds, as it can take the abuse of constant UV radiation from the sun. It's
easy to lay down in any hole, and can be expanded by "welding" two pieces
together. It provides ultimate flexibility with a good price!

BV.

Hal 14-03-2003 03:32 PM

Hello Group

Permalon beats the hell out of handling EDPM. I have a 300 gallon
EDPM (rubber) and 1000 gallon Permalon and the Permalon installation was
much easier. EPDM is about .040 thick and the Permalon is about .021
thick and stronger than the rubber. You do have to plan ahead because
Permalon is made to order then shipped, not cut from a roll.

Ken sells Permalon and provides a lot of good information here. He can
be contacted at:
http://www.kencofish.com/

I think there is more information on Permalon he
http://www.justliners.com/Permalon.htm

Several people who post here have URL's to their pond experience in
their signature. Check them out and you will probably find enough
information on starting a pond.

Regards,

Hal

BenignVanilla 14-03-2003 04:08 PM

Hello Group

"Hal" wrote in message
Permalon beats the hell out of handling EDPM. I have a 300 gallon
EDPM (rubber) and 1000 gallon Permalon and the Permalon installation was
much easier. EPDM is about .040 thick and the Permalon is about .021
thick and stronger than the rubber. You do have to plan ahead because
Permalon is made to order then shipped, not cut from a roll.

Hal...great follow up...tell me more about permalon...I have never heard of
it!

BV.

Bonnie Espenshade 14-03-2003 05:20 PM

Hello Group

Cam wrote:
BenignVanilla,....LOL.....Nice nik!

Thanks for your advice. My next "noobie" question to you is: What on earth
is EPDM?
Sheesh its going to be long winter for me!!!! :))

Over & Out

A flexible rubber liner, available in 45 mil thickness usually.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Bonnie Espenshade 14-03-2003 05:32 PM

Hello Group

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Hal" wrote in message

Permalon beats the hell out of handling EDPM. I have a 300 gallon
EDPM (rubber) and 1000 gallon Permalon and the Permalon installation was
much easier. EPDM is about .040 thick and the Permalon is about .021
thick and stronger than the rubber. You do have to plan ahead because
Permalon is made to order then shipped, not cut from a roll.

Hal...great follow up...tell me more about permalon...I have never heard of
it!

BV.

Hi,
Not Hal, but I've got a 10 x 14 x 2' pond with 65 mil EDPM
and a 8 x 16 x 44" pond with Permalon. The permalon is
definitely lighter and much easier to fold or pleat because
it is stiff. The EDPM is softer and will mold more easily.
Permalon is cheaper to buy and also cheaper for shipping.

--
Bonnie
NJ

John Rutz 14-03-2003 05:32 PM

Hello Group

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Hal" wrote in message

Permalon beats the hell out of handling EDPM. I have a 300 gallon
EDPM (rubber) and 1000 gallon Permalon and the Permalon installation was
much easier. EPDM is about .040 thick and the Permalon is about .021
thick and stronger than the rubber. You do have to plan ahead because
Permalon is made to order then shipped, not cut from a roll.

Hal...great follow up...tell me more about permalon...I have never heard of
it!

BV.

BV just for info I did a earlyer pond w EPDM 30x30 weighed in at 500+ lbs
the same pond w Permalon weighed in at 60 lbs permalon is much easyer
to handle can be seamed etc see kens website www.kenco.com he can
answer all lyour questions about it.

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

KenCo 14-03-2003 05:56 PM

Hello Group

BenignVanilla wrote:

"Hal" wrote in message
Permalon beats the hell out of handling EDPM. I have a 300 gallon
EDPM (rubber) and 1000 gallon Permalon and the Permalon installation was
much easier. EPDM is about .040 thick and the Permalon is about .021
thick and stronger than the rubber. You do have to plan ahead because
Permalon is made to order then shipped, not cut from a roll.

Hal...great follow up...tell me more about permalon...I have never heard of
it!

BV.

Permalon X210 is 21 mil thick and 5-6x's stronger than EPDM.
it is custom cut/sized up to 1 acre sq. :)
its made from HDPE plastic, safe for potable/drinking water.

Permalon weighs 70 lbs per 1000 sq ft vs. 450 lbs. for EDPM,

you could never do this w/ EDPM unless you had a few cranes ;)
http://www.kencofish.com/permalon.jpg

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced.

zookeeper 14-03-2003 06:08 PM

Hello Group

Good, thorough reply, BV! "You have learned well," "Young PORGer."
**mixing my metaphors, ... er ..., scifi movies / series / etc.**
--
Kathy B, "zookeeper" (OR)
Completely PORGed (see archives)

BenignVanilla 14-03-2003 06:08 PM

Hello Group

"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip
BV just for info I did a earlyer pond w EPDM 30x30 weighed in at 500+

lbs
the same pond w Permalon weighed in at 60 lbs permalon is much easyer
to handle can be seamed etc see kens website www.kenco.com he can
answer all lyour questions about it.

What's the cost difference?

BV.

BenignVanilla 14-03-2003 06:08 PM

Hello Group

"zookeeper" wrote in message
Good, thorough reply, BV! "You have learned well," "Young PORGer."
**mixing my metaphors, ... er ..., scifi movies / series / etc.**
--
Kathy B, "zookeeper" (OR)
Completely PORGed (see archives)
3500gal pond

Aww, thanks. One of these days I'll admit I still don't know what PORG
means, but not now.

BV.

RichToyBox 14-03-2003 06:32 PM

Hello Group

There is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html. This will have many of the
answers, but all on rec.ponds are willing to help. Don't let the fact that
we disagree in our responses bother you. Each of us have different
experiences. Take what you think is the best and go. We don't hold grudges
when you do it your way. Welcome to the group.
--
RichToyBox

Bonnie Espenshade 14-03-2003 07:56 PM

Hello Group

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip

BV just for info I did a earlyer pond w EPDM 30x30 weighed in at 500+

lbs

the same pond w Permalon weighed in at 60 lbs permalon is much easyer
to handle can be seamed etc see kens website www.kenco.com he can
answer all lyour questions about it.

What's the cost difference?

BV.

I just checked the price of EDPM, 45 mil thick, 30' x 30'
would be $699 plus $35 shipping. I don't know the current
price of permalon.

--
Bonnie
NJ

joe 14-03-2003 09:02 PM

Hello Group

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

BenignVanilla wrote:
"John Rutz" wrote in message
snip

BV just for info I did a earlyer pond w EPDM 30x30 weighed in at 500+

lbs

the same pond w Permalon weighed in at 60 lbs permalon is much easyer
to handle can be seamed etc see kens website www.kenco.com he can
answer all lyour questions about it.

What's the cost difference?

BV.

I just checked the price of EDPM, 45 mil thick, 30' x 30'
would be $699 plus $35 shipping. I don't know the current
price of permalon.

Try this place:

http://www.justliners.com/cgi-bin/mi...creen=CTGY&Sto
re_Code=JLI&Category_Code=EPDM+PondGard

It was $405 plus shipping. (It's where I bought mine, I don't rememebr how
much shipping was, but it wasn't too bad.

Joe

Hal 14-03-2003 09:44 PM

Hello Group

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:01:46 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

"Hal" wrote in message
.. .
Permalon beats the hell out of handling EDPM. I have a 300 gallon
EDPM (rubber) and 1000 gallon Permalon and the Permalon installation was
much easier. EPDM is about .040 thick and the Permalon is about .021
thick and stronger than the rubber. You do have to plan ahead because
Permalon is made to order then shipped, not cut from a roll.

Hal...great follow up...tell me more about permalon...I have never heard of
it!

http://www.kencofish.com/hardgood.htm and search the page Ctrl+F for
Permalon.

Ken picked up on the thread, I'm just a user he can tell you more than I
can.

Regards,

Hal

Bob H 15-03-2003 03:44 AM

Hello Group

You might try ultraguard http://www.justliners.com/ultraguard2.htm it is
$.040 a sq ft & light...I bought a 25X40 it weighed 140lbs, delivered by ups
& has a 20 yr warranty...I installed it when it was 20 outside and was still
flexible....I think it is pretty good stuff....take a look. I am no way
affiliated with just liners in fact....I think there site is kinda slow and
funky :-) but I like the liner.

"Hal" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:01:46 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

.. .

KenCo 15-03-2003 05:57 AM

Hello Group

Bob H wrote:

You might try ultraguard http://www.justliners.com/ultraguard2.htm it is
$.040 a sq ft & light...I bought a 25X40 it weighed 140lbs, delivered by ups
& has a 20 yr warranty...I installed it when it was 20 outside and was still
flexible....I think it is pretty good stuff....take a look. I am no way
affiliated with just liners in fact....I think there site is kinda slow and
funky :-) but I like the liner.

dont be decieved by a "manuf. defect warranty",
they are hard to collect on as it has to be a
defect from the manuf. process.

Permalon has a 1 yr. unconditional warranty and
Ive had no problems getting new liners even for

drilling a hole through ice and liner,

a liner eating lawn mower!!

and

unfolding it in a driveway and a car running it over.

Glenn S. 15-03-2003 02:32 PM

Hello Group

From one fish freak (five large aquariums - Tanganykians - and two ponds) to
another, welcome to this group.

For us, the difference in setting up the plastic preformed pond shells (
http://icanhelp56.homestead.com/Pond01.html ) vs. the Permalon liner ( from
JustLiners.com) ( http://icanhelp56.homestead.com/NewPondStart.html ) was
the location, size, and landscape of what we wanted to do. The front yard
was a small triangular patch of grass that I got tired of mowing. We could
have put in a liner but then we would not have been able to landscape around
the water features as much as we wanted to. In the back yard, I just
wanted to put in a LARGE water garden (note: there are a few fish but this
is mostly for my lilies and lotus) to experiment with differing plant types.
For us, they have both worked out very well for our needs. And all the
animals seem to love the attraction.

gds
Harpers Ferry, WV
Pop-up camper FOR SALE: http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/Camper001.html

REBEL JOE 15-03-2003 06:08 PM

Hello Group

My choice is the liner. I am going to use 2 preformed for my bog area
witch will dump in a stream that will flow in to main pond. Just build
it big cause after your done you will always want a bigger one.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

~ jan 15-03-2003 07:08 PM

Hello Group

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:57:34 -0500, KenCo wrote:

Permalon weighs 70 lbs per 1000 sq ft vs. 450 lbs. for EDPM,

you could never do this w/ EDPM unless you had a few cranes ;)

Yea, the cranes show up later and they're never helpful. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

~ jan 15-03-2003 07:32 PM

Hello Group

Aww, thanks. One of these days I'll admit I still don't know what PORG
means, but not now.
BV.

The Borg said:
"We are _Borg_ resistant is futile, you will be assimilated."
The Porg say:
"We are _Porg_, resistant IS futile, you will be pond-elated."

P - Pond, O - Oriented, R - Recreational, G - Group ~ jan

See my ponds and filter designs:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Cam 17-03-2003 07:32 AM

Hello Group

HEY PORGers

ROFLMAO Hey this group is full of nutters. Just what I like :)
Thanks for the responses and faq........Guess I better start doing some
research then.

Everyone have a wonderful week...
Will post more questions when I run into a research rutt :)

Laters

Zeuspaul 18-03-2003 03:56 AM

Hello Group

BenignVanilla wrote:

"Cam" wrote in message
BenignVanilla,....LOL.....Nice nik!

Thanks for your advice. My next "noobie" question to you is: What on earth
is EPDM?
Sheesh its going to be long winter for me!!!! :))

Over & Out

snip

There are basically four methods for lining your pond.

1. Don't...some areas have such a high content of clay in the soil, that the
ground will hold water forever. No liner is needed. I do not know anyone
with such a pond. I suspect this is so because even the most hard rock
ground will leak eventually, and I am sure the natural surface will leach in
to the water, clouding the water itself.

snip

Let me introduce myself :) I have a clay pond...well almost as it is still in
the development stages. I also have three preforomed ponds and a cement pond.
I like the clay pond best...but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I am into natural wildlife ponds and the clay pond looks the most natural. I
needed a few ponds right away to rescue some tadpoles from a shallow concrete
pond. The preformed ponds were the fastest and easiest way to get some water
in the ground. The preformed ponds worked as a quick fix as about 500 tadpoles
grew up to be frogs. I rarely see the frogs but I know they are there as it is
once again mating season and they are music to the ears.

I note two drawbacks to the preforms for wildlife ponds. They have steep
sides. Several lizards have drown as they can get in but they can't get out.
To solve this problem the sides are now draped with logs and bark ramps. (Does
anyone know how to keep honey bees from drowning in ponds?) Also rocks are piled
on the inside of the pond near the edge. The second drawback is the look. I
haven't been able to make them look natural.

The cement pond came with the property. I find no fault with the cement pond.
It doesn't leak. I will eventually replace it as it is the wrong size and
shape.

Back to the clay pond. This pond was dug first. The intent was not to make a
clay pond...either cement or EPDM. However the hole just sits there and fills
with water when it rains. The water lasts for about three weeks. The upper
eighteen inches is a rather porous sandy soil. However the deeper parts of the
pond are clay. This pond just looks a lot more natural than any of the other
ponds so I have to make it work I bought some bentonite clay to mix in the
upper surface of the pond to help seal it. However the bentonite (drilling mud)
sits in the bag because I changed my mind. Bentonite is very expansive when
wet. It also contracts when it drys. The clay wildlife pond has dramatic
changes in depth. Bentonite clay is best if it is kept wet. So now the plan is
to use native clay as it is the only source of clay I have. It also seems to be
rather stable as I do not note cracks in the pond as it dries in its cycles.

I consider the seepage beneficial. This helps mitigate the mineral buildup
which results from evaporation. The sealed ponds require water
removal/replacement to counteract the mineral buildup.

This year I will have to extend the life of the clay pond beyond the rainy
season. There are a number of Pacific Tree Frogs that are croaking near the
pond....tadpoles soon to follow:) However once the little fellows hop away the
pond will be allowed to dry. Modifications to shape and size will be made in
the off season. This is difficult to do with lined
ponds...cement...EPDM...preforms.

The water is very murky now. This is because the pond was filled with runoff.
Given time the mud settles.

Over time the pond will be linked with several other ponds and streams. The
streams will be concrete or EPDM or equal lined as clay is not suited to moving
water. I suppose one could place six inches of sand and then some rock over a
clay bed. However liners seem a lot easier....oops...gotta watch out for the
easy stuff as I may end up with un-natural looking streams :)

Got any native toad tadpoles??..North County San Diego

Zeuspaul

Bill 18-03-2003 04:56 AM

Hello Group

"Zeuspaul" wrote :

(Does
anyone know how to keep honey bees from drowning in ponds?)

Honey bees need to drink. Usually they do it in wet sand.

---

jammer 18-03-2003 05:32 AM

Hello Group

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 03:49:57 GMT, Zeuspaul
wrote:

I note two drawbacks to the preforms for wildlife ponds. They have steep
sides. Several lizards have drown as they can get in but they can't get out.
To solve this problem the sides are now draped with logs and bark ramps. (Does
anyone know how to keep honey bees from drowning in ponds?) Also rocks are piled
on the inside of the pond near the edge. The second drawback is the look. I
haven't been able to make them look natural.

Do you have a picture of this?
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

John Rutz 18-03-2003 08:09 PM

Hello Group

Bill wrote:
"Zeuspaul" wrote :

(Does
anyone know how to keep honey bees from drowning in ponds?)

leaves - peices of bark etc in/on water the bees can climb on to dry off

--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Zeuspaul 19-03-2003 02:08 AM

Hello Group

wrote:

I note two drawbacks to the preforms for wildlife ponds. They have steep
sides. Several lizards have drown as they can get in but they can't get out.
To solve this problem the sides are now draped with logs and bark ramps. (Does
anyone know how to keep honey bees from drowning in ponds?) Also rocks are piled
on the inside of the pond near the edge. The second drawback is the look. I
haven't been able to make them look natural.

Do you have a picture of this?
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

I'll take a few this weekend and load them up somewhere sometime next week. I would
rather wait until the ponds are more photogenic...but since you asked....

Zeuspaul

jammer 19-03-2003 02:44 AM

Hello Group

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:51:15 GMT, Zeuspaul
wrote:

I'll take a few this weekend and load them up somewhere sometime next week. I would
rather wait until the ponds are more photogenic...but since you asked....

Zeuspaul

Well, i have a preformed, and am trying like heck to make it look as
natural as possible. I have creeping jenny growing from outside
hanging inside for a critter ramp, (in the middle) pond grass growing
on one side and ivy on the other. I considered rocks but didn't know
how anything would get out of the pond. I wanted to see what you did.
Thanks.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

REBEL JOE 19-03-2003 03:44 AM

Hello Group

Best advice is make it big or you will always want more.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Zeuspaul 19-03-2003 04:08 AM

Hello Group

wrote:

I'll take a few this weekend and load them up somewhere sometime next week. I would
rather wait until the ponds are more photogenic...but since you asked....

Zeuspaul

Well, i have a preformed, and am trying like heck to make it look as
natural as possible. I have creeping jenny growing from outside
hanging inside for a critter ramp, (in the middle) pond grass growing
on one side and ivy on the other. I considered rocks but didn't know
how anything would get out of the pond. I wanted to see what you did.
Thanks.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Six to twelve inch rocks are stacked on the ledges until they break water near the edge
of the pond. In the deeper parts of the pond I fill a five gallon black nursery pot with
smaller rocks for stability. Then I place a few larger rocks on top such that half of
the rock is above the water. If I have a large piece of bark available it is used as a
ramp between the rock and the edge of the pond. Frogs like to hide under the bark. Also
if the bark dips into the water the frogs use it to lay eggs on.

The lizards can leap short distances. They also can swim short distances. However they
can not climb out of the pond if it has a steep edge. Half submerged rocks near the edge
of the pond allow them to climb out of the water. Then they can leap to safety.

Zeuspaul