GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nitrites (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/104209-nitrites.html)

hawksight 04-09-2005 02:27 AM

Nitrites

My amonia levels don't even register, but my nitrites are at 0.8mg/litre. When recommended level is 0 to 0.5. and my nitrate is between 20 and 40 mg /l the ph level is at 7.5

The pond is 3 weeks old and has sufficient plant life.

Have been putting in baterial treatments to ensure the waste products are converted. do i need to give these treatments more time to work ?

Why is my amonia none existant but I have high nitrite? Can someone explain the amonia to nitrite to natrate conversion process within a pond in a way I can uderstand it (the books don't help) so I can get the correct balance within my pond

Thanks

~ jan JJsPond.us 04-09-2005 07:06 AM

Check out this website, hopefully it will help:
http://www.vcnet.com/koi_net/dan.html ~ jan

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 01:27:21 +0000, hawksight wrote:

My amonia levels don't even register, but my nitrites are at
0.8mg/litre. When recommended level is 0 to 0.5. and my nitrate is
between 20 and 40 mg /l the ph level is at 7.5

The pond is 3 weeks old and has sufficient plant life.

Have been putting in baterial treatments to ensure the waste products
are converted. do i need to give these treatments more time to work ?

Why is my amonia none existant but I have high nitrite? Can someone
explain the amonia to nitrite to natrate conversion process within a
pond in a way I can uderstand it (the books don't help) so I can get
the correct balance within my pond

Thanks

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Charles 04-09-2005 07:08 AM

wrote:

My amonia levels don't even register, but my nitrites are at
0.8mg/litre. When recommended level is 0 to 0.5. and my nitrate is
between 20 and 40 mg /l the ph level is at 7.5

The pond is 3 weeks old and has sufficient plant life.

Have been putting in baterial treatments to ensure the waste products
are converted. do i need to give these treatments more time to work ?

Why is my amonia none existant but I have high nitrite? Can someone
explain the amonia to nitrite to natrate conversion process within a
pond in a way I can uderstand it (the books don't help) so I can get
the correct balance within my pond

Thanks

The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite develope first, the
bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate are slower. You are on the
right path, just impacient. Keep doing what you are doing.

hawksight 04-09-2005 02:01 PM

The bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite develope first, the
bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate are slower. You are on the
right path, just impacient. Keep doing what you are doing.[/quote]

thanks Charles

your thoughts have backed up what i was thinking. yes i am a little impacient
have a great day and thanks again