Old 06-09-2005, 08:07 PM
wruess

Default New pond w/ tea-colored water

Brand new pond!! Approx 8k gallons w/ total of 10.5k gal/hr pumpage (7500
and 3000 pumps - 2 aquascape biofalls). The water is clearing nicely after
only a few days but the water is tea-colored - assume leaching from the
'moss rock' that lines the sides of the pond. Should I do some water
changes to get rid of this OR put some (large) bags of activated carbon in
the Biofalls OR just wait a while?? Have couple dozen mosquito fish in
there now - not expecting to put any 'good' Koi in until next spring. pH is
7.3 or so, and KH is slowly rising on it's own (again assume rock leaching),
initially about 75, now about 125. Totally jazzed to finally get this done -
been about 10 years in the dreaming / planning stages. TIA for any comments.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Reel Mckoi

"wruess" wrote in message
m...
Brand new pond!! Approx 8k gallons w/ total of 10.5k gal/hr pumpage (7500
and 3000 pumps - 2 aquascape biofalls). The water is clearing nicely
after only a few days but the water is tea-colored - assume leaching from
the 'moss rock' that lines the sides of the pond. Should I do some water
changes to get rid of this OR put some (large) bags of activated carbon in
the Biofalls OR just wait a while??

$$ I would try some partial water changes. But doesn't moss rock keep
leaching?

Have couple dozen mosquito fish in
there now - not expecting to put any 'good' Koi in until next spring. pH
is 7.3 or so, and KH is slowly rising on it's own (again assume rock
leaching), initially about 75, now about 125. Totally jazzed to finally
get this done - been about 10 years in the dreaming / planning stages. TIA
for any comments.

$$ I know the feeling. I had plans and dreams of putting in a pond for
several years before I picked up a shovel that summer.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 07-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Most of us have some amount of tea color...decay of plants, muck, etc.
I suspect you will have to tolerate it or go to carbon...repeatedly.

Our water is very clear but tea colored. We have got used to it.

Good luck.

Jim

Old 07-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Most of us have some amount of tea color...decay of plants, muck, etc. I
suspect you will have to tolerate it or go to carbon...repeatedly.

Our water is very clear but tea colored. We have got used to it.

==============================
The water in my ponds has a faint green tinge when in a clear glass. The
green may be masking a yellowish or tea-brown color. The fish are thriving
though. :-)

Old 07-09-2005, 04:30 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Most of us have some amount of tea color...decay of plants, muck, etc. I
suspect you will have to tolerate it or go to carbon...repeatedly.

Our water is very clear but tea colored. We have got used to it.

Water clear in a glass here. I'd go with 10%/weekly water changes and see
if it helps. I think you'd go thru too much carbon and that could get
pricey and you need to get use to doing those water changes once you get
koi anyway. So establish a routine. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 07-09-2005, 06:57 PM
wruess

Yes, doing a slow partial water change of sorts - letting water in w/ hose
and letting overflow drain take excess. Amount of activated carbon I would
need for pond is pretty $$$, so hoping I can clear it up w/ partial water
change and tincture of time.

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Most of us have some amount of tea color...decay of plants, muck, etc. I
suspect you will have to tolerate it or go to carbon...repeatedly.

Our water is very clear but tea colored. We have got used to it.

Water clear in a glass here. I'd go with 10%/weekly water changes and see
if it helps. I think you'd go thru too much carbon and that could get
pricey and you need to get use to doing those water changes once you get
koi anyway. So establish a routine. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Where to get a colored water wheel light for Henri fountain head DD DDD Ponds 0 19-08-2005 05:31 AM
Rose colored growth in pond dlg Ponds 9 07-05-2005 01:31 PM
Why is my pond turning tea colored? Michael Shaffer Ponds 2 03-05-2004 01:05 PM
Vanda has blue colored rot Crowswood Orchids 1 25-03-2003 12:20 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 02:56 AM