Old 14-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Registered User

Talking Still got tadpoles with no legs!

Hello Everybody.
Has anyone else still got taddies with no legs?
I'm a bit worried about them with autumn coming up and temperatures soon to start dropping.
I would have thought that they should be frogs by now and I was hoping that there isn't something about my pond that's stopping them developing?
Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks
CH
Old 14-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainhome
Hello Everybody.
Has anyone else still got taddies with no legs?
I'm a bit worried about them with autumn coming up and temperatures soon to start dropping.
I would have thought that they should be frogs by now and I was hoping that there isn't something about my pond that's stopping them developing?
Anyone got any ideas.
Thanks
CH

I don't know why your tadpoles are slow to develop but I can tell you that a friend of mine has a similar situation. He built his small concrete pond in the shade of a large laburnum tree, the leaves and seeds of which are toxic. He doesn't keep fish and the plants don't seem to mind the poison, but the tadpoles never seem to grow up. I'm half-tempted to try a glass or two of his pond water to see if it works on the human aging process. (Not really, don't try this at home kids!)
Old 14-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Chainhome" wrote in message

Hello Everybody.
Has anyone else still got taddies with no legs?

$$ Yes. Bullfrogs take 2 years to mature and leave the water.

I'm a bit worried about them with autumn coming up and temperatures
soon to start dropping.

$$ They'll happily stay on the bottom all winter. I never find dead
pollywogs in the spring.

I would have thought that they should be frogs by now and I was hoping
that there isn't something about my pond that's stopping them
developing?
Anyone got any ideas.

$$ It's perfectly normal. Just let them be. Next year they'll turn into
frogs. ;-)
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 14-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Reel Mckoi

"billfish" wrote in message
I don't know why your tadpoles are slow to develop but I can tell you
that a friend of mine has a similar situation. He built his small
concrete pond in the shade of a large laburnum tree, the leaves and
seeds of which are toxic. He doesn't keep fish and the plants don't
seem to mind the poison, but the tadpoles never seem to grow up. I'm
half-tempted to try a glass or two of his pond water to see if it works
on the human aging process. (Not really, don't try this at home kids!)

====================
They may grow faster if he feeds them. I accidentally stumbled onto this in
my plant propagation tanks. The one I was dropping flakes in because of a
few GF fry had tadpoles much larger than the tubs that I wasn't dropping
flakes in. They came up and just sucked those flakes down like candy.

Old 15-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Derek Broughton

Chainhome wrote:

Has anyone else still got taddies with no legs?
I'm a bit worried about them with autumn coming up and temperatures
soon to start dropping.
I would have thought that they should be frogs by now and I was hoping
that there isn't something about my pond that's stopping them
developing?

Bullfrogs generally don't develop legs until their second year.
--
derek

Old 15-09-2005, 03:57 PM
~Roy

Generally......well do they or don''t they mister know-it-all? Can
they do it in 23 months, 14 months 28 months? "Generally", speaking I
think your lacking in your ability to comprehend....

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:41:42 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

snip a legitimate question looking for a decent answer.......
===Bullfrogs generally don't develop legs until their second year.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 15-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Re tadpole still legless

I think some UK tadpoles over winter as tadpoles, I had some do this last year and this year too.
Old 17-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Hal

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:07:49 +0000, sean mckinney
wrote:

Re tadpole still legless

I think some UK tadpoles over winter as tadpoles, I had some do this
last year and this year too.

See bullfrog tadpole.
http://rol.freenet.columbus.oh.us/frogs.html

Regards,

Hal
Old 20-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean mckinney
Re tadpole still legless

I think some UK tadpoles over winter as tadpoles, I had some do this last year and this year too.
Thanks Sean, (and all other reply-ers)
I didn't realise UK taddies could overwinter (I don't think we get bullfrogs naturally over here in Blighty).
I've done some surfing after reading your message and there were several mentions of overwintering tadpoles - I was suprised - good luck to them.

Cheers
CH
Old 21-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainhome
Thanks Sean, (and all other reply-ers)
I didn't realise UK taddies could overwinter (I don't think we get bullfrogs naturally over here in Blighty).Cheers
CH
I didnt think they overwintered either, until mine did it last year, I think it give the ones that over winter as tadpoles a head start next year.
Bullfrogs are another invasive introduced species in the UK and a threat to the native species, they should, IMO, be irradicated if seen and if seen it might be an idea to report the sighting to the likes of defra.

Old 21-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Gail Futoran

"sean mckinney" wrote in message

Chainhome Wrote:
Thanks Sean, (and all other reply-ers)
I didn't realise UK taddies could overwinter (I don't think we get
bullfrogs naturally over here in Blighty).Cheers
CH

I didnt think they overwintered either, until mine did it last year, I
think it give the ones that over winter as tadpoles a head start next
year.
Bullfrogs are another invasive introduced species in the UK and a
threat to the native species, they should, IMO, be irradicated if seen
and if seen it might be an idea to report the sighting to the likes of
defra.

--
sean mckinney

This probably isn't the same as the OP's situation,
but in case... I've had green frog tadpoles in my
in-ground pond for a few years. This year for fun
I scooped a few tadpoles out and set them up in an
Eclipse 3 aquarium I use off and on as a hospital
tank (for tropical fish). It was great fun to watch the
little buggers (the tadpoles...) change!

After awhile I decided to move them back to the
pond. That was late spring and I'm *still* seeing
tadpoles in the in-ground pond without legs or just
the beginnings of legs. At least know I know they're
not the original tadpoles from this spring. Rather
that the frogs are breeding throughout the summer.

I don't know what happens to the froglets but
there's a relatively large grassy/weedy/viney area
just behind the pond where they can hide. I imagine
predators get quite a few.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 22-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.

"Chainhome" wrote in message

sean mckinney Wrote:
Re tadpole still legless

I think some UK tadpoles over winter as tadpoles, I had some do this
last year and this year too.

Thanks Sean, (and all other reply-ers)
I didn't realise UK taddies could overwinter (I don't think we get
bullfrogs naturally over here in Blighty).
I've done some surfing after reading your message and there were
several mentions of overwintering tadpoles - I was suprised - good luck
to them.

Cheers
CH

--
Chainhome

I just read from a children's small animation book that bullfrogs can take
2-3 years to metamorph into frogs with legs. Later!