GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   HELP! Which UV Sterilizer to get!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/10496-help-uv-sterilizer-get.html)

Chase Williams 15-03-2003 02:44 PM

HELP! Which UV Sterilizer to get!!!

Please help!
Our old UV Sterilizer was a cheapie Azoo Hurricane, which did the job,
but broke last fall (quartz shattered.) The weather will warm into
the 70's here in Ohio this weekend and I need to get something quick.
Our pond is 1200 gallons, 3-4' deep, has a small mechanical filter and
a 600 gal. per hr. pump. It is in full sunlight and is about 6 years
old. No matter what I've tried, the water will get green if I don't
use a UV sterilizer. I have about 6 large koi and around 10 goldfish
of varying sizes, and the pond is fully stocked with oxygenator plants
and lilies.
The pump is at the bottom of the pond inside a mechanical "box" filter
- pushes the water up and out of the pond using 3/4" tubing to a
medium waterfall. The old UV sterilizer was tied in behind the
waterfall.
Here's my criteria:
Budget- up to $150 including shipping.
Waterproof (the Azoo had to be plugged into a transformer, then an
extension cord - I'd rather not do that if I can help it.
(The pond is about 10 feet from a power outlet.)
Must do a good job and require little maintenance.

If you fine folks could please point me to a brand, model and store to
order from, I'd appreciate it VERY much (and so would my fish!)
Thanks so much,
-Chase

Craig Cagle 15-03-2003 10:44 PM

HELP! Which UV Sterilizer to get!!!

My 1000 gal pond in south Texas looked like pea soup until this week. I
bought a Pondmaster submersible UV and have had great results already. The
instructions say it should clear the water in 5 days, well, it's been 7, and
I can see clear to the bottom of the pond! I am absolutely pleased. I have
a setup similar to yours - submerged 550 gal/hr. pump to UV to submerged
filter.

Pondmaster Sublmersible Model UV20 (20 watt)
Found it at www.pond-o-mania.com for $148.95, no shipping charge

Good luck!
Craig