Old 17-09-2005, 03:13 AM

Default pumping antifreeze with a pond pump

I'm using a small pond pump (L G Sourcing Model MD 170) to operate a
contraption I built to open and close a small sliding wooden door on a
chicken coop on a timer. It pumps water into a jug that has a slow leak
so the door stays open while the pump runs all day (jug stays full),
and then at night (pump off) the water leaves the jug and the door
closes. Worked like a charm since June when I made it, but now that
cold weather is approaching, I need to modify the system. Here's my
question: Does anyone know whether or not this (or any pond pump) will
be damaged if I substitute windshield washer fluid (methanol based) for
the water?

Thanks

Lynn Willis

Old 17-09-2005, 03:49 AM
Reel Mckoi

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm using a small pond pump (L G Sourcing Model MD 170) to operate a
contraption I built to open and close a small sliding wooden door on a
chicken coop on a timer. It pumps water into a jug that has a slow leak
so the door stays open while the pump runs all day (jug stays full),
and then at night (pump off) the water leaves the jug and the door
closes. Worked like a charm since June when I made it, but now that
cold weather is approaching, I need to modify the system. Here's my
question: Does anyone know whether or not this (or any pond pump) will
be damaged if I substitute windshield washer fluid (methanol based) for
the water?

========================
The best people to answer that question would be the people who manufactured
the pump in question. I would think the chemicals in the windshield washer
fluid may attack any of the pumps seals they come in contact with.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 17-09-2005, 04:04 AM

Right, and thanks. I've contacted the company but haven't heard
anything yet.

Old 17-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Snooze

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm using a small pond pump (L G Sourcing Model MD 170) to operate a
contraption I built to open and close a small sliding wooden door on a
chicken coop on a timer. It pumps water into a jug

[snip]

How much water is in this system? If it's something fairly small, consider
insulating the jug, and using a small aquarium heater. A 50 watt heater will
use 36 kilowatt-hours a month. assuming you run it all day long, and will
keep 15 gal warm enough to prevent freezing. Just set the heater to the
lowest setting it can be set at, you don't need to keep it warm, just keep
it from freezing.

-S

Old 17-09-2005, 02:44 PM

Thanks. Great idea. Might work.

Lynn

Old 17-09-2005, 05:38 PM
~Roy

Well I use various brands of pumps for ponds to pump coolant for my
machine tools and have yet to have a problem, and some of the coolants
I use are much stronger than methanol based fluids........Just use a
mag type pump, so there are no seals involved and I do belive you'll
be all right. I also use a water soluable oil with alchohol added
during extremely colder weather here and its been pumping for over 5
years now............I will say methanol has different reasctions with
some materials than say a petro based product would, but I seriously
doubt windshield washer antifreeze is going to do your pump in.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 17-09-2005, 05:40 PM
~Roy

I doubt highly that the company is gonna giv eyou an answer other
than.....Our pumps are made for use in fresh water in a ponding
environment. Odds are they never tested them in antifreeze or any
other solutioin as it was not what they had in mind when they designed
and made the pump........so they will give a blanket statement as to
its intended uses.......if you ever get a reply.
On 16 Sep 2005 19:04:50 -0700, "
wrote:

===Right, and thanks. I've contacted the company but haven't heard
===anything yet.

"The original frugal ponder"

My Raccoon Doesn't Seem To Like Antifreeze Way Back Jack[_8_] Gardening 28 11-08-2019 02:28 PM
pumping wet vac nortyler Ponds 4 16-05-2005 01:12 PM
Rubbermaid Pond - Pumping Questions Dave Ponds 4 27-07-2004 09:02 PM
It Keeps on Ticking (or should I say pumping) Ted Ponds 0 09-09-2003 02:18 AM
It Keeps on Ticking (or should I say pumping) Ted Ponds 0 09-09-2003 02:17 AM