Old 19-09-2005, 08:34 AM
dolelyt

Default Does the body of dead turtle float?

I am not sure if my 9" red ear slider has 'escaped' or dead. The pond
has a muddy bottom and quite big. I am just wondering if the body of
any dead turtle float or sink? If they float, then I haven't seen
anything floating so it must be still alive, in the pond (hopefully) or
somewhere.

Thanks for helping.

Old 19-09-2005, 02:10 PM
~Roy

Depends on a few things if they float or not...If the temp is right
and the insides starts to decompose (assuming its dead) then as gasses
form the body will usually surface......However if themps are cool
enough its possible it will not float......

On 19 Sep 2005 00:34:39 -0700, "dolelyt"
wrote:

===I am not sure if my 9" red ear slider has 'escaped' or dead. The pond
===has a muddy bottom and quite big. I am just wondering if the body of
===any dead turtle float or sink? If they float, then I haven't seen
===anything floating so it must be still alive, in the pond (hopefully) or
===somewhere.
===
===Thanks for helping.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 19-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Reel Mckoi

"dolelyt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not sure if my 9" red ear slider has 'escaped' or dead. The pond
has a muddy bottom and quite big. I am just wondering if the body of
any dead turtle float or sink? If they float, then I haven't seen
anything floating so it must be still alive, in the pond (hopefully) or
somewhere.

=========================
I think it's still warm enough in most parts of the USA for it to float if
it's not caught in something below the surface. If you start getting a
faint whiff of something dead then start searching for it.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 19-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Renard

Reel Mckoi wrote:

"dolelyt" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am not sure if my 9" red ear slider has 'escaped' or dead. The pond
has a muddy bottom and quite big. I am just wondering if the body of
any dead turtle float or sink? If they float, then I haven't seen
anything floating so it must be still alive, in the pond (hopefully) or
somewhere.

=========================
I think it's still warm enough in most parts of the USA for it to float
if it's not caught in something below the surface. If you start getting
a faint whiff of something dead then start searching for it.

Your lack of knowledge about herps is astounding Do you just hit your
key board to yammer to be people so they know that you are still alive?
Does anyone cares? Sliders will sleep at night underwater, Sliders
become inactive at temperatures below 10 degrees C. They will often
hibernate underwater or under banks and hollow stumps. Check your water
temperature. Listening to Carol may kill the animal.
Old 19-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Derek Broughton

Renard wrote:

Reel Mckoi wrote:

"dolelyt" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am not sure if my 9" red ear slider has 'escaped' or dead. The pond
has a muddy bottom and quite big. I am just wondering if the body of
any dead turtle float or sink? If they float, then I haven't seen
anything floating so it must be still alive, in the pond (hopefully) or
somewhere.

=========================
I think it's still warm enough in most parts of the USA for it to float
if it's not caught in something below the surface. If you start getting
a faint whiff of something dead then start searching for it.

Your lack of knowledge about herps is astounding Do you just hit your
key board to yammer to be people

Like you did. Nothing Carol said is going to hurt the turtle.

plonk
--
derek

Old 19-09-2005, 06:51 PM
~Roy

Yea, if it smells like Carol you can bet its probably dead........

Just give it some time and see if you spot it.......hopefully
alive.......

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:01:45 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

===
oglegroups.com...