GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [OT] Google groups ponds forum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/107325-%5Bot%5D-google-groups-ponds-forum.html)

Gail Futoran 23-09-2005 03:19 PM

[OT] Google groups ponds forum

I just got an email saying I had been added to
Google Groups The_Pond. I've read about it
here, of course, but had *elected* not to join.
Maybe later, but not right now.

Someone, apparently , added me
to the list without asking my permission. Here's
the part I find even more offensive:

"The owner of the group has set your subscription type as "Email", meaning
that
you'll receive a copy of every message posted to the group as they are
posted."

So instead of dealing with spam in a newsgroup,
*that I go to*, I'll get to deal with some unknown
number of *emails* - not my choice to go to, but
that fill my mailbox.

I have a dial-up line (not much choice about that out
in the country) and things are slow enough as it is
without someone adding me to their list WITHOUT
MY PERMISSION. Yes, I unsubscribed immediately.
That's not the point.

I'll stick with newsgroups, thanks, and the next
person who adds me to a mail list without my
permission will deal with Google Groups staff
(I'll report abuse).

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

~ jan jjspond 23-09-2005 03:26 PM

Yea, I think there is something definitely fishy about this new group
K30/kathy no sooner joined, when she found herself drafted as moderator. A
role she would never willingly volunteer to take. ~ jan

Derek Broughton 23-09-2005 06:37 PM

Gail Futoran wrote:

I just got an email saying I had been added to
Google Groups The_Pond. I've read about it
here, of course, but had *elected* not to join.
Maybe later, but not right now.

Someone, apparently , added me
to the list without asking my permission.

That's so Google. They never quite get it right when they try to do mail
lists & newsgroups. Any other list would send you a confirmation message
before actually signing you up - specifically because this sort of thing
happens.
--
derek

Reel Mckoi 23-09-2005 07:52 PM

Derek Broughton wrote:
Gail Futoran wrote:

I just got an email saying I had been added to
Google Groups The_Pond. I've read about it
here, of course, but had *elected* not to join.
Maybe later, but not right now.

Someone, apparently , added me
to the list without asking my permission.

That's so Google. They never quite get it right when they try to do mail
lists & newsgroups. Any other list would send you a confirmation message
before actually signing you up - specifically because this sort of thing
happens.

I Say it Jabriol!!! You all been fooled!!!
No wait maybe it is Carol!! You all been fooled!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I shall subscribe.

McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page
http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o
Make sure of which Reel McKoi you're replying to - the TROLL from
alt.religion.jehovahs-witn is using other people's names to bypass
killfiles. There are now TWO Reel McKoi's posting here.

[email protected] 23-09-2005 08:14 PM

I may be wrong but a couple of the people ruining this group tried to join "the pond"
and were promptly unsubbed, so I suspect somebody is signing people up to ruin the
list as well. Ingrid

"Gail Futoran" wrote:
I just got an email saying I had been added to
Google Groups The_Pond. I've read about it
here, of course, but had *elected* not to join.
Maybe later, but not right now.

Someone, apparently , added me
to the list without asking my permission. Here's
the part I find even more offensive:

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Reel Mckoi 23-09-2005 08:30 PM

wrote in message
I may be wrong but a couple of the people ruining this group tried to join
"the pond"
and were promptly unsubbed, so I suspect somebody is signing people up to
ruin the
list as well. Ingrid

==============
Check the IP numbers and you'll know soon enough.

Mine: NNTP-Posting-Host: 66.82.112.1 Hughs

Jabriol's:NNTP-Posting-Host: 65.148.14.25 Qwest

Gail Futoran 23-09-2005 09:17 PM

wrote in message
I may be wrong but a couple of the people ruining this group tried to join
"the pond"
and were promptly unsubbed, so I suspect somebody is signing people up to
ruin the
list as well. Ingrid

That's a reasonable theory, but I'm one of the
rec.ponders who has steadfastly stayed out of
the [you-know-what-mess g]. So if someone
signed me up hoping to cause trouble for the list,
they'd simply be bored! :)

Gail

J.D. Stone 26-09-2005 01:53 AM

That's a reasonable theory, but I'm one of the
rec.ponders who has steadfastly stayed out of
the [you-know-what-mess g]. So if someone
signed me up hoping to cause trouble for the list,
they'd simply be bored! :)

Gail

It may have been someone trying to cause trouble for the list but I was sure
ticked, especially being set to emails. Might have been less ticked if
they'd use digest.. Besides unsubscribing I also forwarded it to the abuse.
Maybe they'll figure it out but more likely just ignore it. Guess I agree
with Derek. A real list manager should require confirmation and the whole
thing may have been bogus 'cause I didn't get any emails before I
unsubscibed.

--
J.D. Stone
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone

Gail Futoran 28-09-2005 07:02 PM

"J.D. Stone" wrote in message

That's a reasonable theory, but I'm one of the
rec.ponders who has steadfastly stayed out of
the [you-know-what-mess g]. So if someone
signed me up hoping to cause trouble for the list,
they'd simply be bored! :)

Gail

It may have been someone trying to cause trouble for the list but I was
sure ticked, especially being set to emails. Might have been less ticked
if they'd use digest.. Besides unsubscribing I also forwarded it to the
abuse. Maybe they'll figure it out but more likely just ignore it. Guess I
agree with Derek. A real list manager should require confirmation and the
whole thing may have been bogus 'cause I didn't get any emails before I
unsubscibed.

--
J.D. Stone
http://www2.itexas.net/jdstone

I probably should have done what you did.
Maybe if enough people complained they
would do something.

Gail