Old 26-09-2005, 09:55 AM
insanity101x2

Default goldfish+aussie rainbow fish+cichlids ?

Gday
Decided to get back into my pond a bit, which over the past 2 or so
years has only been housing Australian rainbow fish.. have added 4
goldfish to the mix, and I have heard of/seen people adding certain
peaceful cichlid species (such as electric yellows) in ponds with
goldfish.. is it a good idea or is it just asking for trouble?

thanks
alan meade

Old 26-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Derek Broughton

insanity101x2 wrote:

Gday
Decided to get back into my pond a bit, which over the past 2 or so
years has only been housing Australian rainbow fish.. have added 4
goldfish to the mix, and I have heard of/seen people adding certain
peaceful cichlid species (such as electric yellows) in ponds with
goldfish.. is it a good idea or is it just asking for trouble?

Where on Earth (literally) are you? In most of the areas covered by
rec.ponds posters, Electric Yellows (Labidochromis Caeruleus) wouldn't have
a hope of survival. I'm assuming you're somewhere tropical - but that
causes problems for goldfish.

I can't see Goldfish and L.Caeruleus being a problem to each other, but they
don't tolerate each others preferred water temperatures, and L.Caeruleus
really should have lots of rockwork - which doesn't make for a fun ponding
experience.
--
derek
Old 26-09-2005, 05:32 PM
San Diego Joe

"insanity101x2" wrote:

Gday
Decided to get back into my pond a bit, which over the past 2 or so
years has only been housing Australian rainbow fish.. have added 4
goldfish to the mix, and I have heard of/seen people adding certain
peaceful cichlid species (such as electric yellows) in ponds with
goldfish.. is it a good idea or is it just asking for trouble?

thanks
alan meade

I had a couple of Oscars in my pond. They did very well and weren't
aggressive even to each other. They did have a lot of room though. The big
issue is that where I live, my water gets down to 50 in the winter and so
each fall I had to catch them (easy the first time, after that they get
smarter) and put them in a tank.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.