GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   frog hibernation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/108089-frog-hibernation.html)

burky 16-10-2005 10:34 PM

frog hibernation

Does anybody know what to do with a bullfrog to help over winter or
will they take care of themselves.
I heard something about putting dirt in a pan in the pond & they will
bury.

~ jan jjspond 17-10-2005 12:32 AM

frog hibernation

On 16 Oct 2005 14:34:18 -0700, "burky"
wrote:

Does anybody know what to do with a bullfrog to help over winter or
will they take care of themselves.
I heard something about putting dirt in a pan in the pond & they will
bury.

They will take care of themselves, but they also need the pond not to
freeze solid. Keep a hole open. ~ jan

Reel Mckoi 17-10-2005 08:28 AM

frog hibernation

burky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anybody know what to do with a bullfrog to help over winter or
will they take care of themselves.

## Leave them alone if you don't have fish they will eat. They spend the
winter in whatever litter they find on the pond bottom. We remove them to a
nearby lake when we can because they eat the fish.

I heard something about putting dirt in a pan in the pond & they will
bury.

## We've seen them make it through with nothing on the bottom but a few
leaves and bits of gravel.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b