GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Swim Bladder Problem? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/108197-swim-bladder-problem.html)

BenignVanilla 19-10-2005 07:59 PM

Swim Bladder Problem?

Hey all,

I need your help. Last week or so I had a problem with my tank heater. It
went haywire and overheated the water. We lost a couple of the smaller fish.
I adjusted the heater, and apparently overcompensated, as the water got
colder then I liked. Anyway, I think that is all important info so I
mentioned it, but I don't know if it's related.

Yesterday, we found our rope fish floating. I went to remove him, but
noticed he was breathing. He is staying near the top, but often rolling on
his back. When I 'goose' him along, he swims away very well. It appears
however that he cannot get to the bottom of the tank where he prefers to be.
I think, but am not sure, he is slightly swollen at one point in his body.

Does this sound like a swim bladder problem? What can I do?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com cuz I love ponds
www.time2conserve.com cuz It's time
www.human8ball.com cuz it's fun, and you should upload your picture like I
did

San Diego Joe 19-10-2005 08:55 PM

Swim Bladder Problem?

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

[...]

Hi BV,

That sounds like classic swim bladder disease to me. Try this link:

http://www.netpets.com/fish/referenc.../swimbldr.html

Good luck

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.