Old 07-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Ohm

Default how to protect water plants, fish in winter ?

Hi

Iam planning to put a pond about 2000 gal next year. Iam planning on
doing all the work myself. My only questions is how to protect the
investment (plants, fishes) in the winter? Can I put plants and fishes
in stock tanks and keep them iside the garage with some flouracent
lights hanging above the tanks to provide light for the plants and fish
(comet, koy)? Probably I can setup some filters and air pumps too. Is
this good plan? Iam in the 5b zone and garage is not heated. Will it
cause any problem of algae growth in the water? or fungus affecting the
garage because of moisture from the taks?

Sam.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Carol-Ann

"Ohm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

Iam planning to put a pond about 2000 gal next year. Iam planning on
doing all the work myself. My only questions is how to protect the
investment (plants, fishes) in the winter?

## That depends on where you live and how hardy the plants you purchase are.
Make sure you dig BELOW the frost line for you area.

Can I put plants and fishes
in stock tanks and keep them iside the garage with some flouracent
lights hanging above the tanks to provide light for the plants and fish
(comet, koy)?

## Yes, if you understand the nitrogen cycle. The stock tank would have to
be very large and have excellent filtration. Hardly plants should be left
outdoors for their normal rest period. Unless your pond will freeze to the
very bottom it's best to leave the fish outdoors as well.

Probably I can setup some filters and air pumps too. Is
this good plan? Iam in the 5b zone and garage is not heated. Will it
cause any problem of algae growth in the water? or fungus affecting the
garage because of moisture from the taks?

## Algae is found in almost all waters that support life. You can vent the
garage to keep the air from becoming like a greenhouse. If you have
tropical pond plants you must bring them in as the first hard frost will
kill them.
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 08-11-2005, 09:03 PM

how deep is your pond?
I bring in my tender plants. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/VF/veggie_filter.html
here is the "tent" I put over my pond.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/winters/winter.htm
I drop in a 500 watt aquarium heater, keep the air blower going and the water temp is
at or above 50oF for 11/12 months. I feed fish every few days but less food. I keep
an eye on the ammonia. Ingrid

"Ohm" wrote:
Iam planning to put a pond about 2000 gal next year. Iam planning on
doing all the work myself. My only questions is how to protect the
investment (plants, fishes) in the winter? Can I put plants and fishes
in stock tanks and keep them iside the garage with some flouracent
lights hanging above the tanks to provide light for the plants and fish
(comet, koy)? Probably I can setup some filters and air pumps too. Is
this good plan? Iam in the 5b zone and garage is not heated. Will it
cause any problem of algae growth in the water? or fungus affecting the
garage because of moisture from the taks?

Sam.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE