Old 19-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Pam

Default Pump cage?

I need help! I have my pump in a tub with holes in it and Bags of Lava
rock. The way it is now it is TOO heavy for me to get out of the pond to
clean. What I need is something light that I can make myself and is easy
to get out! I'm getting to OLD to get in and out of the pond by myself.
Could someone PLEASE HELP ME!! I did do a search on the net first. But I
couldn't find anything. I use a sump pump that goes to my Bio filter.
Thank you in advance for your HELP! Pam
Old 19-03-2003, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

Pam,

My brother-in-law made a strainer/prefilter that a number of us use from two
of the mesh type aquatic plant pots. He ties them together top to top with
bag ties, and has a piece of 1 inch pipe with lots of holes go all the way
through. The far end has a pipe cap on it. The pump end gets an adapter to
the size of the pump intake. I found that I kept collapsing the pots with
the debris that catches on the outside, so I modified the design to include
filling the system with bioballs for support. It is light, easy to lift,
and in my pond requires cleaning about every week or two.
--
RichToyBox

Old 22-03-2003, 12:44 AM
MLF

"RichToyBox" wrote:
My brother-in-law made a strainer/prefilter that a number of us
use from two of the mesh type aquatic plant pots.

That sounds very imaginative and and all around great idea.

I suppose, if you wanted, you could do the same thing with any plastic
container with lots of holes in it, perhaps a plastic laundry basket for
a really big pond.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

Old 23-03-2003, 12:32 AM
~ jan

"RichToyBox" wrote:
My brother-in-law made a strainer/prefilter that a number of us
use from two of the mesh type aquatic plant pots.

That sounds very imaginative and and all around great idea.
I suppose, if you wanted, you could do the same thing with any plastic
container with lots of holes in it, perhaps a plastic laundry basket for
a really big pond. Michael Fermanis

Actually it has to be the mesh type, very fine holes, anything that can get
thru is small enough not to impede the impeller, as the mesh baskets are
not filled with any media. The object is large surface area. ) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 23-03-2003, 04:20 AM
Tom La Bron

Pam,

Aquatic ECO Systems has a Submersible Pump Filter Bag. There is a small
size 8" in diaX23" with 1/16 mesh size and a Large Pump bag that 34" L X 17"
W X 10" H of 1/8th mesh size and another Large Pump bag that 39 1/2" L X 20
1/2" W X 14"H with a 3/8" mesh size, and they are $18.29, $15.25, and
$14.35, respectively.

HTH

Tom L.L.