Old 03-12-2005, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Default Derek/water celery

Derek, you once-upon-a-time mentioned plants that had frozen solid and come
back. Any experience with flamingo water celery/parsley? Will it come back
if the whole thing is frozen solid?

Replies welcome from anyone else that has experience. ~ jan

----------------
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-12-2005, 12:08 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Jan,

What is flamingo water celery? Our normal (? = green) comes back well.

Jim

Old 03-12-2005, 03:37 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default Derek/water celery/green and white variety

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Jan,

What is flamingo water celery? Our normal (? = green) comes back well.

I had the green and white variety, twice. It never made it through the
winters here in zone 6.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 03-12-2005, 07:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

What is flamingo water celery? Our normal (? = green) comes back well.

Jim

It is like the green, but has a varigated leaf with pink and white in it.
Very pretty, but I'm not sure if it is as hardy. I'll go check the website
Hal provided for insight. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 03-12-2005, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

What is flamingo water celery? Our normal (? = green) comes back well.

http://www.paghat.com/waterparsley.html Hal

Thanks Hal, it says good to 15F, but doesn't mention frozen solid. Guess I
may be finding out. )

I do know one thing, it doesn't survive (in even winter) 0.3% salt
treatment. The winter I did that, with the plants dormant, didn't bother
any of them... even those that normally would have died had it been the
growing season.

Our leaves are finally all down, and the little bit of snow we got melted
off, so I'm going out to remove the few I didn't get last weekend. I hope
that's the end of leaf season for me (I only do the koi pond area, the guys
get the rest of the yard). After which it is time to break out the Xmas
lights. ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek

~ jan jjspond wrote:

Derek, you once-upon-a-time mentioned plants that had frozen solid and
come back. Any experience with flamingo water celery/parsley? Will it come
back if the whole thing is frozen solid?

I never had any water celery, sorry.
--
derek
Old 10-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Re "Any experience with flamingo water celery/parsley? Will it come back
if the whole thing is frozen solid?"

Mine, pink tinged edges, has over wintered successfully but 1" thick ice would be thick for here.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

Mine, pink tinged edges, has over wintered successfully but 1" thick
ice would be thick for here.

I put mine in a separate container from the pond, and I'm sure by now it is
frozen solid. I'll report in the spring if it, and the other plants within,
survive. ;o) ~ jan -- willing to sacrifice for the good of the hobby.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 2 18-03-2003 02:44 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM