Old 11-12-2005, 05:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mud

Default Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside?

I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Old 11-12-2005, 06:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Michael Shaffer

Mud wrote:
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

If you put a fluorescent light over them with some tinfoil on the sides
they will grow very well. I did that last summer and I had to throw a
lot of them away.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mud

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
news2_mf.8618$fz5.6774@dukeread04...
Mud wrote:
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to
winter over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

If you put a fluorescent light over them with some tinfoil on the sides
they will grow very well. I did that last summer and I had to throw a lot
of them away.

Thanks for the tip... I don't have a fluorescent lamp handy but I do have a
"grow lamp"... do you think that would work about as good?

Old 11-12-2005, 08:00 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

==============================
I'm in zone 6 TN and keep water lettuce over easily. I keep them in pans of
water or an old fishtank by south facing windows (or in a fishtank with my
goldfish). They must be FERTILIZED every few weeks or they'll die out (or
they do for me). Water hyacinths are a bit harder to keep alive. Make sure
they don't have "mites or aphids" before you bring them in. They also need
a sunny window, fertilizer regularly and do better with moving water. You
can achieve that with a cheap airpump and airstone.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 11-12-2005, 09:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside my
house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week, pinching
off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far although not
seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter over
inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Sunlight is the best thing for them, rather than your growlight. Add some
Miracle Grow (or other plant fertilizer) to the bucket.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mud

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks, I've got them next to an afternoon sunny window but the windows are
energy efficient, heat mirror windows, so I don't know how much good that's
doing them. I am adding a small amount of Schultz liquid plant fertilizer,
along with a beer cap full of muriate of potash, mixed up with 1 gallon of
water, divided equally among the small buckets. They are doing good so far,
although small in size. I'm using three buckets so I don't want to buy 3
air stones but then again, I'll check into it. Thanks so much for helping.

Old 11-12-2005, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mud

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter
over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Sunlight is the best thing for them, rather than your growlight. Add some
Miracle Grow (or other plant fertilizer) to the bucket.

Thanks, Bill. Please see my other post... you seem to be right on the
money!

Old 12-12-2005, 09:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
kc

I've decided since my one or two water hyacinths and lettuce soon turn into
one hundred every summer I'm just going to start again next year!
Kirsten
"Mud" wrote in message
om...

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

m...

Old 12-12-2005, 10:28 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"kc" wrote in message
I've decided since my one or two water hyacinths and lettuce soon turn
into one hundred every summer I'm just going to start again next year!

=================
Since attractive healthy ones are hard to find here some years, and the
prices have gone up to $3.50 to $4.50 each, it pays for me to keep some
over. It gives me a good head start in the spring.

Old 13-12-2005, 08:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Paul

Mud wrote:
"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"Mud" wrote in message
. com...

I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter
over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

Sunlight is the best thing for them, rather than your growlight. Add some
Miracle Grow (or other plant fertilizer) to the bucket.

Thanks, Bill. Please see my other post... you seem to be right on the
money!

I was told to overwinter them with their roots in mud. 1 month in and
still looking healty.

Paul

Old 13-12-2005, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Paul" wrote in message
I was told to overwinter them with their roots in mud. 1 month in and
still looking healty.

Mine hyacinths are in water about 6" deep and are still looking good. I
hope at least 2 survive until spring. I'm using diluted houseplant
fertilizer on mine. I've also sprayed them several times with a safe
vegetable insecticide to keep the mites away. Mites can kill them quickly
(in my experience). The water lettuce always lives over now.