GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Goldfish illnesses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/110226-goldfish-illnesses.html)

Donna UK 31-12-2005 02:42 PM

Goldfish illnesses

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone may have any ideas on the mysterious illness that we
have been unable to solve in my boyfriends pond. I noticed that one of the
fish in the pond has something wrong with his eye. On closer inspection the
eye had gone white and had a fungus growing from it with a little white lump
just back from the eye. We treated the pond with an antifungal treatment
from tetrapond. It seemed to take the fungus off the eye but the white lump
behind the eye remained. Over the winter the fish has now developed dropsy
and has been removed from the pond. Only thing is one of the other fish has
now developed a white lump behind his eye, but the main eye seems ok. Any
ideas as to what it may be and what course of treatment to take.

Any help appreciated.

Donna

Koi-lo 01-01-2006 01:05 AM

Goldfish illnesses

"Donna UK" wrote in message
k...
Hi all

Was wondering if anyone may have any ideas on the mysterious illness that
we
have been unable to solve in my boyfriends pond. I noticed that one of
the
fish in the pond has something wrong with his eye. On closer inspection

=============================
If you Google goldfish+diseases/goldfish+parasites you may come up with an
answer. It's a bit odd that two fish would develop the same bump behind
their eyes. Good luck!
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

~ jan jjspond 01-01-2006 07:45 AM

Goldfish illnesses

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:42:15 GMT, "Donna UK"
wrote:

Was wondering if anyone may have any ideas on the mysterious illness that we
have been unable to solve in my boyfriends pond. I noticed that one of the
fish in the pond has something wrong with his eye. On closer inspection the
eye had gone white and had a fungus growing from it with a little white lump
just back from the eye. We treated the pond with an antifungal treatment
from tetrapond. It seemed to take the fungus off the eye but the white lump
behind the eye remained. Over the winter the fish has now developed dropsy
and has been removed from the pond. Only thing is one of the other fish has
now developed a white lump behind his eye, but the main eye seems ok. Any
ideas as to what it may be and what course of treatment to take.

Any help appreciated.

Donna

Hi Donna, More info needed please fill out form below:

Sick Fish or Sick Pond Form

Please describe your problem, including fish characteristics, like;
whirling, flashing, gasping at surface, wounds, etc.:

Move upper paragraph here and continue.

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

pH?:

KH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?: