GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New England plant sources (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/110283-new-england-plant-sources.html)

Charles L. 03-01-2006 01:00 AM

New England plant sources

Searching for places in CT that I can get both Water Hyacinth and Water
Lettuce. I had to remove mine due to insect infestation, and need
plants as they are primary food for a turtle living within pond. Thanks.

Stephen Henning 03-01-2006 03:51 AM

New England plant sources

"Charles L." wrote:

Searching for places in CT that I can get both Water Hyacinth and Water
Lettuce. I had to remove mine due to insect infestation, and need
plants as they are primary food for a turtle living within pond.

Actually the best cure for insects is to sink the plants in a pond with
fish. The plants and the fish will both thank you.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

[email protected] 05-01-2006 08:41 AM

New England plant sources

There are plenty of aquatic plants to choose between listed on ebay, at
way better prices than retail shops, direct from the grower. Just pop
'water hyacinth' or 'water lettuce' into ebays search feature and
compare the price. No need to feel limited to local retailers (and
their mark ups) go direct to the grower!

Don't be too surprised to find them typically listed at a buck apiece,
though scarcity in Spring might push bidding up a tad

When your waters are at 60°f and on the rise, that might be good
timing to ship them in, after your last frost. Take care to spot
outdoors hardened young plants, as those adapt and cope with plant
shock to a new pond a lot easier than greenhouse or old plants

Regareds, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html