Old 13-01-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default RP (rec ponds) Has this been tried, to filter out OT postings?

Hi:
I'm fairly new here. (Actually I've briefly visited here a
couple times in the past 4-5 years.)
I just downloaded headers for the past 8+ months, and could not
believe all the garbage off-topic posting here.
It looks like we have our own nut-case, as well as the nutcase
from new jersey,
Anyways, I have a suggestion that may or may not have been
tried here.
What if all of us who were really interested in rec ponds
just added RP to the beginning of our main header, and then set
our filters to delete anything that did not start with RP? Right
now it looks like most of the OT posts are just crossposts from
various religion hierarchies. Many of them may not even realize that
they are crossposting to rec. ponds.

RP -just a thought that might help the group.

ron
Old 13-01-2006, 12:48 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
Hi:
I'm fairly new here. (Actually I've briefly visited here a
couple times in the past 4-5 years.)
I just downloaded headers for the past 8+ months, and could not
believe all the garbage off-topic posting here.
It looks like we have our own nut-case, as well as the nutcase
from new jersey,
Anyways, I have a suggestion that may or may not have been
tried here.
What if all of us who were really interested in rec ponds
just added RP to the beginning of our main header, and then set
our filters to delete anything that did not start with RP? Right
now it looks like most of the OT posts are just crossposts from
various religion hierarchies. Many of them may not even realize that
they are crossposting to rec. ponds.

RP -just a thought that might help the group.

ron

The problem is I read a number of newsgroups. If
I set my filter to delete anything that doesn't have
RP at the beginning, basically I delete everything
else from all my other newsgroups. Maybe other
news servers can delete from selective newsgroups,
but mine cannot.

It's frustrating, but I've seen this happen before.
Usually it goes away after a time. Those of us
who persist here just look for the on topic posts
and read/answer those.

Gail

Old 13-01-2006, 03:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

wrote:

What if all of us who were really interested in rec ponds
just added RP to the beginning of our main header, and then set
our filters to delete anything that did not start with RP? Right

To my knowledge, I can filter out something that's there, not something
that isn't there. I check in a few times a day and just put them in the
kill filter (by subject or nym) as they come in. Takes very little time,
but I can imagine 8+ months would have been shocking. ~ jan
~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 15-01-2006, 03:52 AM posted to rec.ponds

wrote:
Hi:
I'm fairly new here. (Actually I've briefly visited here a
couple times in the past 4-5 years.)
I just downloaded headers for the past 8+ months, and could not
believe all the garbage off-topic posting here.
It looks like we have our own nut-case, as well as the nutcase
from new jersey,
Anyways, I have a suggestion that may or may not have been
tried here.
What if all of us who were really interested in rec ponds
just added RP to the beginning of our main header, and then set
our filters to delete anything that did not start with RP? Right
now it looks like most of the OT posts are just crossposts from
various religion hierarchies. Many of them may not even realize that
they are crossposting to rec. ponds.

RP -just a thought that might help the group.

I haven't been here in several years, since my son-in-law became the
waterkeeper for my koi. I, too, was appalled to see so many OT and
off-the-wall posts.

Your idea of adding RP to the beginning of headers has merit. Be aware,
however, that if our resident nut-case is intent on creating chaos, he/she
will crosspoint it so his/her nut-case buddies know it.

Two other things that are important are to not feed the trolls and to check
the newsgroup setting to make sure YOU'RE not cross-posting.

My fish have grown since I last posted a pic of them. I'll post a recent
pic of them on alt.binaries.aquaria in a few minutes.

Regards to jj and all the old gang!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Old 15-01-2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.ponds

~ jan jjspond wrote:
On 15 Jan 2006 03:52:19 GMT, wrote:

I haven't been here in several years, since my son-in-law became the
waterkeeper for my koi. I, too, was appalled to see so many OT and
off-the-wall posts.

Hiya Nick, so you passed down your koi keeping (or at least, passed off
the chore part of it?) ;-)

Yes, the newsgroup has been attacked by trolls. It's all those bridges
people have put over their ponds, you know. I rarely see them though,
with the killfilter on max, they have to nymshift. Which makes me scratch
my head with wonder, "so what, I see you, zap, I ain't gonna read it."
They waste more of their time typing, than I do zapping.

On the ponding scoreboard, Carol must be the winner as long as they post
here, she wins, in my book. They don't seem to have a clue how much
control SHE apparently has over THEM. IMHO, ~ jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for remembering me! I always enjoyed your useful and friendly posts
and our virtual conversations. ;-)

I've been kinda infirmed and don't get out much anymore, but I promised a
pic to Om and had to honor that. I met her on another group that I won't
mention here. E-mail me (jan jjspond ONLY) if ya wanna know where. Best to
ya!