Old 22-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Steve

Default Basic pond questions

Important facts:

I live in Las Vegas.
I want a pond with a waterfall/successive water basins.
I want the dogs to be able to get in and out easily on an inclined sand ramp
built into the bottom of the pond.
I am not (that) interested in fish or plants.
I want it for visual, and a minipool for the dogs.
I don't want to use a plastic liner pond because I want it larger than that.

I have read about four books on ponds and waterfalls, but still have some
questions.

I know this will be a MAJOR DIY project, but think I can handle it. (I have
built a house before.)

Major questions:

Should I use a heavy liner intended for animal traffic (I have seen these at
sites) or ShotCrete?
How much filtration will I need since I don't want (?) plants or fish?
How much of a job is keeping up with the filtration, chemicals, and cleaning
of a pond?
How does ShotCrete compare with the heavier liners installation,
maintenence, durability, cost?
How do you color the concrete/stucco? Paint it? Additives? I would like
to make some faux rocks.
I have a 220v. spa pump. Can I use that, or do I need a special pond pump?

Tons of more questions as the project shakes out, but these will get me
started.

--
Steve

MHO ONLY..... YMM(and probably does)V

Old 22-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Hal

Without plants and fish you can have a chlorine cleaned and sand
filtered swimming pool.

Liners come in different thicknesses and as big as you want, even
swimming pools are made with liners because they are much cheaper.

I have a cousin in Tampa that couldn't keep his doberman out of his pool
the last time I visited and there was no ramp only a shallow end.

Regards,

Hal