Old 24-03-2003, 09:20 PM
~ jan

Default Ducks

I didn't get an answer to this when attached on another thread so will try
again. Educated guesses are good too. ;o)

Around the D.pond there is a 2 foot high rope fence around the pond. We
stapled bird netting to the top of the posts around the majority of it and
then held about a 1/4th of it down to the ground with some rocks. One
helper was telling us that she was told the ducks would still walk
underneath the netting. This would mean hopping the lower portion of the
rope, or ducking under (no pun intended). Would the ducks do this? On a
nice day people are walking through this area and I didn't think the ducks
would want to find themselves trapped under that bird netting? What do you
all think? ~ jan

Demon Pond and rope fence can be seen at:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 24-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ jan wrote:
[...]

I can only tell you that the wild ducks and geese won't go
near the ropes tied across a riverside lawn that has
aluminum pie plates tied to the ropes. I'm not sure if it's
the pie plates or the ropes. The ducks stay clear.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 24-03-2003, 09:56 PM
John Hines

~ jan wrote:

Around the D.pond there is a 2 foot high rope fence around the pond. We
stapled bird netting to the top of the posts around the majority of it and
then held about a 1/4th of it down to the ground with some rocks. One
helper was telling us that she was told the ducks would still walk
underneath the netting. This would mean hopping the lower portion of the
rope, or ducking under (no pun intended). Would the ducks do this? On a
nice day people are walking through this area and I didn't think the ducks
would want to find themselves trapped under that bird netting? What do you
all think? ~ jan

I personally can't help you, but ducks are discussed in
sci.agriculture.poultry which despite the name, is frequented mostly by
hobby poultry keepers.
Old 25-03-2003, 06:32 AM
~ jan

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:45:26 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

I can only tell you that the wild ducks and geese won't go
near the ropes tied across a riverside lawn that has
aluminum pie plates tied to the ropes. I'm not sure if it's
the pie plates or the ropes. The ducks stay clear.

Yes, these are wild ducks, and that is my understanding too. One of the
remedies for keeping ducks off a boat dock is to make a short rope or wire
fence at the perimeter. I guess the ducks won't hop it from the water. I
was hoping the same from ground level too. Otherwise, pie plates or all
those AOL free CDs may have to be consider. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 25-03-2003, 04:32 PM
John Rutz

~ jan wrote:
On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:45:26 GMT, Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

I can only tell you that the wild ducks and geese won't go
near the ropes tied across a riverside lawn that has
aluminum pie plates tied to the ropes. I'm not sure if it's
the pie plates or the ropes. The ducks stay clear.

Yes, these are wild ducks, and that is my understanding too. One of the
remedies for keeping ducks off a boat dock is to make a short rope or wire
fence at the perimeter. I guess the ducks won't hop it from the water. I
was hoping the same from ground level too. Otherwise, pie plates or all
those AOL free CDs may have to be consider. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

I saw an realy neat indoor fountain made with those CD's
--
John Rutz

I'm not Porg am not am not am so
see my pond at:
http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 25-03-2003, 07:08 PM
mad

now that's a great idea! i'm all for recycling!
mad
--
Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo!
Robert Heinlein

From: ~ jan
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 06:24:34 GMT
Subject: Ducks

Old 25-03-2003, 08:44 PM
John Hines

"MLF" wrote:

"~ jan" wrote:
I can only tell you that the wild ducks and geese won't go
near the ropes tied across a riverside lawn that has
aluminum pie plates tied to the ropes.

Otherwise, pie plates or all
those AOL free CDs may have to be consider. ;o) ~ jan

Good idea. I think AOL has put out enough of those things to carpet the
earth. Finally a use for them.

a few (3-5) sec in the microwave is fun, if you can watch it.

Also valuable if your security aware.
Old 25-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Springworks

Made one out of aol cd's and a gutted out computer moniter and low voltage
lighting.......Back when aol 3.0 was hot.......

Old 25-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Springworks

Ducks don't like grape Kool-Aid...Sprinkle some around pond perimeter...Once
they root around and get a taste they usually leave..........

Old 27-03-2003, 09:56 PM
~ jan

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 20:49:53 GMT, "Springworks"
wrote:

Ducks don't like grape Kool-Aid...Sprinkle some around pond perimeter...Once
they root around and get a taste they usually leave..........

LOL! I could just see this on a money request, needed: a case of grape
kool-aid for duck deterent. Wonder how many feet one can get out of a pack?

Old 30-03-2003, 01:32 PM
MLF

"~ jan" wrote:
I can only tell you that the wild ducks and geese won't go
near the ropes tied across a riverside lawn that has
aluminum pie plates tied to the ropes.

Otherwise, pie plates or all
those AOL free CDs may have to be consider. ;o) ~ jan

Good idea. I think AOL has put out enough of those things to carpet the
earth. Finally a use for them.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)

problem with ducks, geese & coons David Edible Gardening 7 02-07-2003 12:50 AM
Ducks and ponds? Larry Ponds 9 13-06-2003 02:56 PM
Answer: Ducks, Witches, Wood and my VF liner BenignVanilla Ponds 7 03-06-2003 04:20 AM
Ducks Bushy Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Ducks or turtles in Koi Pond? Joe Blow Ponds 3 10-03-2003 09:32 PM