GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grading Problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/11964-grading-problem.html)

BenignVanilla 28-03-2003 02:32 AM

Grading Problem

I have my pond hole nearly excavated...I expect it will be done this
weekend. One problem I noticed is that the location of my VF pond looks to
be slightly higher then the resevoir pond. How critical will this be? My
current design calls for a bottom drain and skimmer piped directly to my VF.
My pump will be in a seperate pump house pulling water from the VF and
dumping back into the pond. I am concerned now that this may be a problem.
Am I being a worry wart? Is my worst case scenario just some liner showing
in my VF?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

RichToyBox 28-03-2003 02:56 AM

Grading Problem

BV,

Based on your plan, and the direction of flow, I would either build up the
sides of the pond, or lower the VF. Water doesn't run up hill. The top of
the sides really doesn't matter, except that the amount of liner exposed
creates some aesthetic issues.
--
RichToyBox

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

BenignVanilla 28-03-2003 04:08 PM

Grading Problem

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
BV,

Based on your plan, and the direction of flow, I would either build up the
sides of the pond, or lower the VF. Water doesn't run up hill. The top

of
the sides really doesn't matter, except that the amount of liner exposed
creates some aesthetic issues.

I think I am talking about maybe a 2-3 inch difference. I may be able to
grade it up, not sure how that will look, but I plan to experiment this
weekend. I want to get all of the excavation done this weekend. Anyway, I
have plenty of dirt and will give it a try. If that fails and the only real
concern is aesthetics, I am not so worried. The area that will have the VF
is nestled in my landscaping, so some nice ground cover planted
strategically could solve my "i can your liner" problem.

I guess the bigger question is...and I feel like a moron asking this, but I
don't know the answer...do you think a pump will be able to keep the VF
filled even if it is above the water level of the reservoir pond? I assume
the level dropping will only be an issue when/if the pump is off.

Should I put a valve in the return pipe, so I can regulate this flow better?

BV.

~ jan 28-03-2003 10:32 PM

Grading Problem

The water in the VF with pump running is going to be a tad below the
surface level of the pond, when off the level will be the same as is in the
pond. Any plants in the VF will quickly hide the liner..... if not, you
don't have enough plants. ;o) ~ jan

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:01:16 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

BenignVanilla 31-03-2003 04:44 PM

Grading Problem

"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
The water in the VF with pump running is going to be a tad below the
surface level of the pond, when off the level will be the same as is in

the
pond. Any plants in the VF will quickly hide the liner..... if not, you
don't have enough plants. ;o) ~ jan

My wife who knows nothing more about ponds then they are holes full of
water...basically said the same thing to me last night, and told me to stop
wording about it. *laugh*

BV.

~ jan 01-04-2003 07:44 AM

Grading Problem

My wife who knows nothing more about ponds then they are holes full of
water...

That's good, she hasn't figured out (yet) they're holes in the ground one
fills with money. ;o) ~ jan

BenignVanilla 01-04-2003 04:08 PM

Grading Problem

"~ jan" wrote in message
My wife who knows nothing more about ponds then they are holes full of
water...

That's good, she hasn't figured out (yet) they're holes in the ground one
fills with money. ;o) ~ jan

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Holy Heyzuese....

The first rule about pond club is you don't talk about pond club.
The second rule about pond club is that you DON'T TALK ABOUT POND CLUB.
The third rule about pond club is you never ever never ever discuss how much
money we may or may not be placing in a hole in the ground in the backyard.

Jan, read your rule book please.

BV.

~ jan 02-04-2003 09:56 AM

Grading Problem

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Holy Heyzuese....

The first rule about pond club is you don't talk about pond club.
The second rule about pond club is that you DON'T TALK ABOUT POND CLUB.
The third rule about pond club is you never ever never ever discuss how much
money we may or may not be placing in a hole in the ground in the backyard.

Jan, read your rule book please.

Naaaaa, rule 1 & 2? You want to get her involved so she parts with the
money just as gladly as you do. Rule 3, you tell everyone so they come dig
the pond for you.... "Yea, I gave up on banks and put all my money in a
hole in the ground in the backyard.... and covered it up." By morning,
instant pond hole(s) dug. ;-) ~ jan