Old 28-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Ping Ingrid, RichToyBox and others Frys

Ok people just thinking ahead. So after the novelty of seeing my Koi spawn,
I now have to deal with the reality of what to do with hundreds of Fry!

Any Ideas? Sell them to pet stores? Ebay? Here on line to interested
folks?

At what age should I start selling them?

How do you ship Koi across the Country?

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Old 28-03-2003, 05:44 AM
jammer

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 05:22:21 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\""
wrote:

Ok people just thinking ahead. So after the novelty of seeing my Koi spawn,
I now have to deal with the reality of what to do with hundreds of Fry!

Any Ideas? Sell them to pet stores? Ebay? Here on line to interested
folks?

At what age should I start selling them?

How do you ship Koi across the Country?

I hear ya. I am glad i "only" have goldfish. I can have a 25cent
goldfish sale. It might be more human to flush them with some of the
creepy little kids around here.

Sorry i didnt answer your question.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 28-03-2003, 05:44 AM
~ jan

Ok people just thinking ahead. So after the novelty of seeing my Koi spawn,
I now have to deal with the reality of what to do with hundreds of Fry!

Imo, forget about selling them, you'll want to give them away unless you
are really good at culling and killing. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

If you're very, very lucky, the adult fish will indulge in all the fresh
caviar and the fry will be limited. Out of 3 spawns last spring, I only have
7 survivors. I didn't want/don't need any more fish, but because they DID
survive, they have a home, directly resulting in my having to build another
tank in the backyard. But they won't get names, and when I need a
"volunteer" for a Q/H-tank buddy, they will be the ones. However, if a
visitor said they wanted one (or more!) of them, they'd be welcome to them.

Selling fry is kinda out of the question: they're mutts! If there was a show
near by, you may be able to get $2-3 a piece for them. But it's a royal pain
in the butt to get them there, and what do you do with the ones no one
wants?? One of the other alternatives, if you can catch them early enough
(another topic: the little guys are ZOOMERS!!!), they can be sold to a pet
shop for feeders.

Last year I couldn't *wait* for a spawn: this year I hope they found birth
control pills!

Lee

.. .

Old 28-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Jerrispond

Ok people just thinking ahead. So after the novelty of seeing my Koi spawn,
I now have to deal with the reality of what to do with hundreds of Fry!

I never have more than a couple make it to a year old....Actually by the time
they are large enough to see well, there is less than 1/2 a dozen. Jerri

Old 29-03-2003, 01:32 AM
RichToyBox

Unless you have pulled those hyacinths out of the pond and put them into a
hatching pond, you will find that you will end up with a very limited number
that survive the parents eating caviar. I usually end up with about 1/2 a
dozen each year. Last year I tried my hand at having a hatching pond, and
would have ended up with only about 500,000 babies. By the time the first
one made it to be about 1/2 inch long, he started eating his siblings. I
think I got about 50 that grew to be about 1 1/2 inches long by summers end.
All but about 6 or 8 went to my local pond supply. She will sell them, or
give them to customers that make substantial purchases. One of the ones
that I gave to her, I kick myself for. It was nothing the week I gave it
away. A week later it had turned into a pretty sanke. I got two kohaku
that one is good, the other is going to be a give away. I got one nice
kuminryu, don't have a clue who the parents were, didn't have one before.
--
RichToyBox

.. .

Old 29-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Px656

I sure hope I get some little ones. I have about 18 goldfish in my pond that
are getting pretty old. Used to give them away in the spring by the dozens.
But one summer seven different snakes got in and dropped me from possibly 30
adults to 8. Then my cover died probably because I was trying to get rid of
algae so the fry had no place to hide.

When I came south last fall I had 18 adults and plenty of cover so here's
hoping.

However, the temp dropped to 21 below zero. My pond is 3 1/2 feet deep but I
wonder if my fish survived.

Sitting by my pond and watching frogs and fish is my favorite thing.

Got the hole for a new pond and a pile of dirt for a waterfall now, but have to
level the edges of the hole and get the collected dirt out of the bottom. Then
in goes the under liner to protect the liner and then liner.

I also had them make me a terrace on the downside of the hole (The pond is on a
hill.) A neighbor gave me about 100 flag stones and I have to get them from
his house and put them on the terrace after the pond is working.

Then there is the waterfall.

Anybody want to help? Got a big, big yard in the mountains of WV that you can
camp in.

Pixi
Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM

get a few orfes. they will take care of eggs and fry. Ingrid
Old 01-04-2003, 04:20 PM
mad

photos! or (i just HAVE to say it LOL) "pix, pixi!"
:-D
mad
--
There will be a rain dance Friday night, weather permitting.
**** George Carlin

Ping Ingrid Bill Stock Ponds 1 09-10-2004 03:19 PM
ping RichToyBox Gregory Young Ponds 7 23-09-2003 12:34 AM
ping ingrid John Rutz Ponds 16 15-06-2003 06:20 PM
Need info on DIY Filteration Ping Justin, RichToyBox, others Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 12 08-04-2003 09:08 AM
Frys Sue Ponds 5 12-03-2003 05:20 AM