Old 28-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Douglas Bolt

Default Anacharis, does it overwinter?

Until about a week ago, my small pond seemed well populated with Anacharis
from top to bottom. Now, it looks dead and most has fallen to the bottom.
I live in Maryland. Is this normal behavior for this submergible, or do I
have a problem? Because it looked relatively healthy throughout the winter
(when I could see it without snow - some pics at URL below), I figured it
would continue to thrive this season. So far this spring, the water is very
clear and the fish seem healthy.

--

doug bolt
For current weather Beltsville, MD with live cam + pics of friends, family,

Old 28-03-2003, 04:44 PM
K30a

My anacharis wintered over and then fell to
the bottom. It recovered. Not sure why it
does that. Just watch it carefully to make
sure it is still alive. You can take a rake and
snag some.

k30a
Old 28-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Douglas Bolt

Thanks,

That sounds like what mine is doing. The plants seem to be loosing leaves,
but the stems look to me to be alive. The skimmer is getting full of
Anacharis leaves, however.

Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 PM
~ jan

Ditto here, so hopefully it's normal, I can't remember last year what it
did.... as I added so much from the stuff I kept inside I couldn't tell new
from old. ~ jan

K30a wrote:
My anacharis wintered over and then fell to
the bottom. It recovered. Not sure why it
does that. Just watch it carefully to make
sure it is still alive. You can take a rake and
snag some.

k30a

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Douglas Bolt

Jan,

Here is a URL to a pic showing the Anacharis on the bottom of the pond.
http://www.boltassociates.com/Nuthat...es/image37.htm

As you can tell, the water is clear, but I'm concerned that dead (if it is
dead) Anacharis will gunk up the situation shortly.

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

We have a veggie filter with anacharis. The old leaves are now dying (they
were solidly green til the water began to warm up. Close inspection reveals
lots of new green growth.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Douglas Bolt

Thanks for the info.

It sounds like anacharis is a "deciduous" submerged plant. The leaves are
falling off of the stems on mine too.

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Mary Alice Kropp

We have a veggie filter with anacharis. The old leaves are now dying
(they were solidly green til the water began to warm up. Close
inspection reveals lots of new green growth.

Yeah, that's pretty much what mine does every year, too. I usually pull out
as much as I can when I "spring clean" the pond and get rid of the stuff
that is visibly dead, but most of it seems to recover pretty well.

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 1/30/03

You can't ask to start over just because you're losing the game.

Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
~ jan

I don't think your anacharis is loosing leaves intentionally, I think the
fish are picking them off. Mine looks the same, only I won't have fish in
the Lily Pond till after the frogs do their thing and the taddies are big
enough, thus nothing to pick on it. If your water temp is at least 45F+ you
might want to feed the fish thawed frozen peas to keep them off the
anacharis. ~ jan

Old 30-03-2003, 03:08 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hmmmm, Our anacharis in in a veggie filter. We willmonitor the leaf drop
'fall out'. The filter can be drained if there are a whole lot of leaves.
Ours haven't begun to fall as yet.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"Mary Alice Kropp" wrote in message
news
We have a veggie filter with anacharis. The old leaves are now dying
(they were solidly green til the water began to warm up. Close
inspection reveals lots of new green growth.

Yeah, that's pretty much what mine does every year, too. I usually pull
out
as much as I can when I "spring clean" the pond and get rid of the stuff
that is visibly dead, but most of it seems to recover pretty well.

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 1/30/03

You can't ask to start over just because you're losing the game.

How to Overwinter a Potted Brown Turkey fiG? Boron Elgar Edible Gardening 10 04-09-2004 12:11 PM
How to Overwinter a Potted Brown Turkey fiG? Boron Elgar Edible Gardening 0 29-08-2004 04:37 PM
How to Overwinter a Potted Brown Turkey fiG? Boron Elgar Edible Gardening 0 29-08-2004 04:37 PM
goldfish fry overwinter Skippy Ponds 3 21-09-2003 11:05 PM
eccremocarpus scaber - overwinter? Big Al United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 11:06 PM