GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pest control with a pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/12159-pest-control-pond.html)

EJ 29-03-2003 07:08 AM

Pest control with a pond

I have heard of an insecticide that would not harm fish. Does anyone know
what is safe to use around/in a pond?

I have an unknown type of bug that showed up late last year and is not back
with a vengeance. They are little blackish bugs that don't really seem to be
eating anything but they are everywhere. Please help!!!

Just Me \Koi\ 29-03-2003 07:20 AM

Pest control with a pond

Maybe you can post pictures of the pest so that you are getting the right
help.

My daughter has asthma as such I cannot use chemicals/pesticide. So I
either use mild soap mix, or I get ladybug and praying mantis to kill the
bugs.
My 2cents.
--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Steve J. Noll 29-03-2003 02:56 PM

Pest control with a pond

One is "Dipel". But it is effective only on leaf-eating caterpillars.
It is a bacterial biological control similar to "mosquito dunks" which
kills mosquito and certain fly larvae. I use both in the pond due to
a severe caterpillar attack on my water lilies that occured last year.
Dipel is sold at garden centers as the brand "Safer Caterpillar
Killer", but again, is effective only on caterpillars.

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 00:56:19 -0600, "EJ"
wrote:

I have heard of an insecticide that would not harm fish. Does anyone know
what is safe to use around/in a pond?

I have an unknown type of bug that showed up late last year and is not back
with a vengeance. They are little blackish bugs that don't really seem to be
eating anything but they are everywhere. Please help!!!

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)

EJ 30-03-2003 06:08 AM

Pest control with a pond

I will have to get a picture but in the mean time here is a vague
description. They appear to be some type of beetle. They are black in
color, size is about 1 mm long, they have either 6 or 8 legs looks like six
to me. And I know it sounds crazy but they just more or less just sit there.
I know they must be eating some of the plant but they are not even really
running around. There are so many on some of the pickerel rush they the
leaves look black from a distance.

They are actually at my parents house so I will take a few days to get a
picture up to show what they are. Does anyone know of an online reference
for pond pests?

~ jan 31-03-2003 06:56 PM

Pest control with a pond

Does it resemble an aphid at all, or truly a beetle with a hard wing
casing? Aphids come in all colors, including black, and most often the
black ones seem to attack water garden plants.

Do not use anything till you ID the critter. To do this snip off a leaf or
two, tuck in a zip lock and zip down to your local county extension office
where they have a high powered microscope to check them out. Perhaps your
county sponsors a Master Gardener clinic, if so, instant help, but they'll
want to see the critters.

When you find out, post back.... get pictures up on the web and I'll take a
look and if I don't know, I can find out. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a