Old 30-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Dennis

Default advice wanted on building 10,000 gal koi pond

I am about to embark upon the endeavor of building a 10,000-12,000 gal
koi pond with a 30 foot stream and 2000 gal header pond. I previously
owned (for 5 yrs)a 4,000 gal pond which was build by a landscaper.
This time I would really like to do it myself. I have read numerous
books and researched extensively on the net, plus I learned a few
things from my previous pond ownership. Are there any pitfalls I
should watch out for, or unique things I should consider in building a
pond this size? Any input would be much appreciated. I intend to use
bottom drains to a vortex filter, then to a series of mechanical and
biofilters, then a pump into the "veggie" filter header pond and
lastly, the filtration of the stream leading back to the larger pond.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Dennis
Old 31-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

No suggestions...but I am impressed by your courage. Keep us posted.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
m...

Old 01-04-2003, 07:08 PM
~ jan

On 29 Mar 2003 19:22:02 -0800, (Dennis) wrote:

[...]

Envious glares from koi/pond friends, admiration from rec.ponders and most
likely a flat wallet. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Just Me \Koi\

I second what others have already said! Please keep us posted with lots of
pictures, etc.

You are doing what I wish I could do.

One hint is to see as many websites as possible!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

m...

Old 02-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Michael Lee

I question the need for filtering 10 -12K pond. There are many ponds of
lesser size than that that are 'al natural' and not filtered. I think water
movement, IE - a stream would be a good idea, but unless you intend to
vastly over-stock the Koi, you may be wasting a lot of time and resources
developing a filter. My $.02

I wish I had enought ROOM for a 10K pond, keep us posted on the progress!

Shalom!
Michael Lee

==----------
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers

=-----

Old 02-04-2003, 09:56 AM
~ jan

I question the need for filtering 10 -12K pond. There are many ponds of
lesser size than that that are 'al natural' and not filtered. I think water
movement, IE - a stream would be a good idea, but

"unless you intend to
vastly over-stock the Koi, you may be wasting a lot of time and resources
developing a filter. My $.02"

That's usually what they intend to do when they say, "KOI pond". Plus,
serious koi ponders want GROWTH, if they don't buy 'em big to begin with,
one can never have enough filtration for a "Koi Pond" . ;o) ~ jan

I wish I had enought ROOM for a 10K pond, keep us posted on the progress!

Shalom!
Michael Lee

.. .