Old 30-03-2003, 02:20 PM
John Bachman

Default stablize pond sides in sandy soil

I have dug out my pond. Our soil is pure sand below the loam - easy
digging but not good for stable, vertical sides. How can I keep the
sides nearly vertical? I have heard of mixing some cement with the
soil to give it more adhesion.

Does anyone have experience with this or other techniques?

TIA

John

Old 30-03-2003, 04:20 PM
pondreamer

I have dug out my pond. Our soil is pure sand below the loam - easy
digging but not good for stable, vertical sides. How can I keep the
sides nearly vertical? I have heard of mixing some cement with the
soil to give it more adhesion.

Does anyone have experience with this or other techniques?

TIA

John

Hi John,
I had pretty much the same question recently. Here is a thread from
another forum that gave me the answer.
http://watergardening.infopop.net/3/...=399290654&m=3
322991107

I dug down 4 inches and poured a concrete collar around the pond. The
concrete was mixed pretty thick so ther was no need for a form around
the edge (it didn't flow over the edge and into the pond.)
http://web2news.com/?rec.ponds

Old 30-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Roberta Hickman

Depending on how deep the pond is, you can use metal flashing to
stabilize sandy soil into vertical surfaces. Here's a website with
"how to" on this method:

http://www.pondlady.com/buildb.html

Old 30-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Nedra

John, I have sandy soil. First year my pond was in, the sides began
to cave in. I hired a couple of guys who knew the solution..
Get enough concrete blocks to line your pond. Drain your pond* -
pull back the liner then dig down a ways to set the concrete
blocks on. Put rebar in the holes of the concrete blocks... about
a foot apart. Fill the holes with dirt mixed with concrete. Let dry
for several days. Cover the blocks with liner and refill the pond.
*When draining the pond do save the water. You can use it again
when you refill the pond. The fish will have been put in a kiddie
pool with a fountain. Cover with net.

Good Luck!

Nedra