Old 30-03-2003, 06:20 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Pond Hole Dug!!! Yahoo!!!

Ok, so we finished the hole yesterday. Our deepest section is about 4-4.5
feet. That's where my bottom drain will go. It has sloping near vertical
sides that end in a shelf near the bottom. The shelf goes around maybe 3/5
of the pond bottom. It's there mostly for safety/accessibility reasons, god
forbid someone falls in. Then, we have an area around 1 foot deep that
slopes away to he deep end. And another area that will be a pebble/rock
beach that from 0 depth to about 3 feet and then falls off into the deep
area. I hoped to have pictures up today, but the damn snow is keeping me
inside.

More to come on progression...that is...if there is interest...or am I just
wasting bytes here?

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MY SPLEEN to email me.

Old 30-03-2003, 06:20 PM
K30a

BV wrote More to come on progression...that is...if there is interest...or am
I just
wasting bytes here?

Heck no, I think we all feel that we have part
interest in this pond ;-)

k30a
Old 30-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Heck no too here BV. I feel that you are constructing our pond!

This is what
I mean: You have been smart enough to ask all the questions we wished we
had asked before doing our own ponds. You have tapped into our total
collective! As such your pond will truly be the one pond that represents
the opinion of the entire group.
So.....you owe it to us to show us how our pond is progressing! I know that
I will enjoy following it's development.

Pictures, and more pictures! Instead of the verbal above, pictures will
have been much better. Get a digital camera. If you don't have one, I will
be happy to scan your pictures for you and then send them back to you along
with a cd.

Enjoy the back breaking,,,,,,,,I meant the pleasantry of pond digging

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 30-03-2003, 09:44 PM
AllenC

In , BenignVanilla wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

Just an FYI:

From http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html#prevent

quote
12. I do not want you to archive my article(s)! How can I prevent
messages that I post from being archived on Google Groups?

Google supports the 'X-No-archive: yes' header, and we will not
archive any articles that contain this text either in the header or in
the first line of the message body.
unquote

Example: http://smlnk.com/?9PZ686MO

Also, if you request your articles to not be archived, the only people
that won't be able to see your posts are, quite possibly, the people
that would benefit the most: people using google groups to search for
answers.

HTH

--
Osc@efnet use monospace font

to email: AllenC@ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old 30-03-2003, 10:56 PM
mad

i'm interested.
mad
--
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Old 31-03-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"K30a" wrote in message
BV wrote More to come on progression...that is...if there is

interest...or am
I just
wasting bytes here?

Heck no, I think we all feel that we have part
interest in this pond ;-)

I guess I should be issuing shares soon eh?

BV.

Old 31-03-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Heck no too here BV. I feel that you are constructing our pond!

This is what
I mean: You have been smart enough to ask all the questions we wished we
had asked before doing our own ponds. You have tapped into our total
collective! As such your pond will truly be the one pond that represents
the opinion of the entire group.
So.....you owe it to us to show us how our pond is progressing! I know

that
I will enjoy following it's development.

Pictures, and more pictures! Instead of the verbal above, pictures will
have been much better. Get a digital camera. If you don't have one, I

will
be happy to scan your pictures for you and then send them back to you

along
with a cd.

I have a cam...and I intended to put some pics up yesterday...until the damn
snow came back. *laugh* I promise to take some this week. I need to make a
few tweaks to the hole, I want to add one more shelf, but other then that
it's ready for placement of a trench for the bottom drain and skimmer
plumbing.

BV.

Old 31-03-2003, 03:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"AllenC" wrote in message
In , BenignVanilla wrote:

x-no-archive: yes

Just an FYI:

From http://groups.google.com/googlegroups/help.html#prevent

quote
12. I do not want you to archive my article(s)! How can I prevent
messages that I post from being archived on Google Groups?

Google supports the 'X-No-archive: yes' header, and we will not
archive any articles that contain this text either in the header or in
the first line of the message body.
unquote

Example: http://smlnk.com/?9PZ686MO

Also, if you request your articles to not be archived, the only people
that won't be able to see your posts are, quite possibly, the people
that would benefit the most: people using google groups to search for
answers.

I forgot I had that in my tag...it was put there for another reason. Thanks.

BV.

Old 31-03-2003, 07:08 PM
~ jan

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:14:04 -0500, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

More to come on progression...that is...if there is interest...or am I just
wasting bytes here?

Heavens NO!!!! We want to know all about it. )

I do have a question where you mentioned 1 foot deep sloping to deep end. I
hope this slope is hardly noticable because you will most likely at some
time need to stand in this pond, whether it's plant maintenance or netting
a fish, whatever. If the slope is too steep you will slip, even with the
best water shoes on. I have a slope in the Lily pond bottom that over a 15
foot span it drops from 24" to 27". No slipping. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 31-03-2003, 07:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:14:04 -0500, "BenignVanilla" wrote:

snip
I do have a question where you mentioned 1 foot deep sloping to deep end.

hope this slope is hardly noticable because you will most likely at some
time need to stand in this pond, whether it's plant maintenance or netting
a fish, whatever. If the slope is too steep you will slip, even with the
best water shoes on. I have a slope in the Lily pond bottom that over a 15
foot span it drops from 24" to 27". No slipping. ~ jan

snip

First off, thanks for the interest in my new found addiction.

As for the slope, it needs work. In hindsight, the slope will look great, I
think, but will be a devil to walk on. I plan to etch small shelves that
should be barely noticeable, but will aid in access. I am doing the same
with the pebble/rock beach area. Currently the pebble/rock beach area swoop
down and around part of the pond. I plan to redig that and have small
"stairs" or "shelves" that hopefully won't be noticeable, but will allow
access, and allow me to pile up rocks, pebbles, etc. for my critter access
ramp.

BV.

Old 01-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Hey BV! We didn't discuss what you are explaining here! Since this is our
pond, and we may be buying shares, I do demand that my voting rights be
respected! ;-)

I vote against the beach/ramp access thing! I also vote against the radical
slope you are proposing for OUR pond!

All in favor say..........opposed.....
Motion carries, re-dig the pond, and send everyone in this newsgroup (1) 28"
Koi each! Make mine a black butterfly please!

Of course you know I'm trying to be funny! Too much sun over the weekend,
not to talk of all the mum I inhaled!

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 01-04-2003, 03:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Hey BV! We didn't discuss what you are explaining here! Since this is

our
pond, and we may be buying shares, I do demand that my voting rights be
respected! ;-)

I vote against the beach/ramp access thing! I also vote against the

radical
slope you are proposing for OUR pond!

All in favor say..........opposed.....
Motion carries, re-dig the pond, and send everyone in this newsgroup (1)

28"
Koi each! Make mine a black butterfly please!

Of course you know I'm trying to be funny! Too much sun over the weekend,
not to talk of all the mum I inhaled!

I can't believe, I am going to have to print a prospectus every now. *laugh*

You do raise a good point though. My current plan has a nice slope that goes
right to the pond edge. I plan to put small shelves on it, so I can walk
down it, and so I can put rock on it. I want to create a pebble beach that
will be surrounded my english Ivy on the dry side. This backs to a line of
pine trees. I figured all of that cover and easy pond access would attract
lots of critters.

Now, I have read, what I am building a racoon hunting ramp, or a cat fishing
platform, or a heron landing strip. Is it a bad idea to have a pebble/rock
beach?

BV.

Old 01-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Nedra

What you put on the ramp wont make a bit of difference to the
raccoon, kitty cat, or heron. They will gladly accept anything...
hehehehe

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 01-04-2003, 05:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...
What you put on the ramp wont make a bit of difference to the
raccoon, kitty cat, or heron. They will gladly accept anything...
hehehehe

I guess what I meant was...the ramp is intended to encourage other life like
frogs, small birds, lizards, whatever...is it a bad idea to have it all?
Does anyone have one and enjoy it?

BV

Old 01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
K30a

Hey BV,

I have Frog Bog One in the big pond.
(Frog Bog Two is its own pond.)
It is a shallow area, about 3' by 5', that
is part of the pond, so even fish can get up
in it if they want.
The bullfrogs, when they lived here, loved it.
They would hang out and sun bath. I had lots of
grasses around it so they would feel protected.
Also put a few branches in there. Rather wild looking.
The turtles also found it a handy area to bask in.

With two large labradors I don't have any problem with predators (knock on
wood!). A heron visited once and found the dogs too tedious to deal with.
Raccoons don't even try. A kingfisher visits every winter but I don't mind him
after his first year. His show is too interesting to ignore and I need
population control.

I think raccoons are the most destructive, overall, to the pond as they will
mess with plants, knocking them over and pulling them out of their pots. But we
have ways of discouraging the little masked mammals so it you come across one
in your ponding adventures we can help.

k30a