Old 30-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Dave Bell

Default Outdoor turtle habitat

I'm throwing the question out to the collective wisdom of these groups to
help me brainstorm a small, good-weather, pond extension.

We have two mature Red Eared Sliders that have been living indoors, in a
100 gallon tank for a number of years. We also have a large backyard pond,
around 3500 gallons, with lots of plants, moderate to light fish load, and
veggie and mechanical filtration. I'm thinking of adding a PVC preform
pond liner sitting on the deck edge, for a turtle tank. Have a continuous
waterfall trickle into the tank, with an overflow lip back to the main
pond, dry and submerged (6" to 10") areas, partial shade, and a 4x4" wire
mesh box over all. Put some umbrella palms (I have a *lot* this Spring!)
and probably some other smaller plants in, as well.

Any suggestions, additions, warnings, laughter?

Dave

Old 31-03-2003, 06:44 PM
~ jan

Sounds like a plan to me... ) ~ jan

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 11:07:21 -0800, Dave Bell wrote:

I'm throwing the question out to the collective wisdom of these groups to
help me brainstorm a small, good-weather, pond extension.

We have two mature Red Eared Sliders that have been living indoors, in a
100 gallon tank for a number of years. We also have a large backyard pond,
around 3500 gallons, with lots of plants, moderate to light fish load, and
veggie and mechanical filtration. I'm thinking of adding a PVC preform
pond liner sitting on the deck edge, for a turtle tank. Have a continuous
waterfall trickle into the tank, with an overflow lip back to the main
pond, dry and submerged (6" to 10") areas, partial shade, and a 4x4" wire
mesh box over all. Put some umbrella palms (I have a *lot* this Spring!)
and probably some other smaller plants in, as well.

Any suggestions, additions, warnings, laughter?

Dave

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 AM
VA Reptile Rescue

Dave,

For lots of pond advice for RES, check out the Turtle Homes listserv on
Yahoo... they have pics and lots and lots and lots of suggestions.

--
Bonnie Keller
VA Reptile Rescue