Old 24-02-2006, 03:30 PM posted to alt.troll,rec.ponds,alt.cracks,uk.rec.gardening
Ian Paul Freemanly

Default Rock dust

Broadback Stroked my keelbasa and whined:

I'm sure that many of you have seen the recent publicity about mixing
rock dust with compost to make a great soil growing media. I live in
North Staffordshire, is this dust available near here and what is the
cost? My lower garden is devoid of top soil, I would love to create
something to enable me to grow anything, apart from gorse.

What the **** is wrong good old manure? You sure have enough of it on
that ****ing island land fill you live on.

HTH
Old 24-02-2006, 06:17 PM posted to alt.troll,rec.ponds,alt.cracks,uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Ian Paul Freemanly wrote:
Broadback Stroked my keelbasa and whined:

I'm sure that many of you have seen the recent publicity about mixing
rock dust with compost to make a great soil growing media. I live in
North Staffordshire, is this dust available near here and what is the
cost? My lower garden is devoid of top soil, I would love to create
something to enable me to grow anything, apart from gorse.

What the **** is wrong good old manure? You sure have enough of it on
that ****ing island land fill you live on.

HTH

Adding manure ( I use lots) to the ground I wish to improve will do no
good. It is what I believe is called gravel, with no topsoil at all. I
say believe because my idea of gravel is the sharp edged small stones
that are used for concrete making. This is various sized pebbles in a
very meagre amount of sand and clay.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:36 PM posted to alt.troll,rec.ponds,alt.cracks,uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Adding manure ( I use lots) to the ground I wish to improve will do no
good. It is what I believe is called gravel, with no topsoil at all. I
say believe because my idea of gravel is the sharp edged small stones
that are used for concrete making. This is various sized pebbles in a
very meagre amount of sand and clay.

I suggest a few loads of builders's sand, and a third the amount of
manure. It may not work, but nothing much else will if it doesn't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:41 PM posted to alt.troll,rec.ponds,alt.cracks,uk.rec.gardening
Ian Paul Freemanly

Nick Maclaren Stroked my keelbasa and whined:

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Adding manure ( I use lots) to the ground I wish to improve will do no
good. It is what I believe is called gravel, with no topsoil at all. I
say believe because my idea of gravel is the sharp edged small stones
that are used for concrete making. This is various sized pebbles in a
very meagre amount of sand and clay.

I suggest a few loads of builders's sand, and a third the amount of
manure. It may not work, but nothing much else will if it doesn't.

Move to France. Better class of people.
Old 24-02-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.ponds,uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Adding manure ( I use lots) to the ground I wish to improve will do
no good. It is what I believe is called gravel, with no topsoil at
all. I say believe because my idea of gravel is the sharp edged
small stones that are used for concrete making. This is various
sized pebbles in a very meagre amount of sand and clay.

I suggest a few loads of builders's sand, and a third the amount of
manure. It may not work, but nothing much else will if it doesn't.

I hadn't realised that Broadback was talking about shingly stuff. The
quantity of rock dust needed to give that a reasonably soil-like texture
would need Branson's budget, so sand and fine quarry waste with ground
limestone and muck looks like the only way to go. A few loads of what
builders sometimes dispose of from uneven sites would be good if you can
get it: they may try to call it "topsoil", but you can fairly safely bet
it won't be. They shouldn't charge for that, as you're saving them
dumping costs. I've used it, and had to pull out quite a lot of junk,
but it was manageable.

It also sounds to me like a case for planting pockets. If you don't want
to spend so much money, you could just improve small areas as planting
sites for key plants, and if necessary fill in the gaps as the years go
by.

--
Mike.

Rock dust Broadback United Kingdom 21 25-02-2006 09:57 AM
Rock dust told2b Gardening 3 19-11-2005 03:30 PM
eat more rock, aka rock rocks! twisted IRONy Australia 0 24-11-2003 10:59 AM
Rock dust Judanne Permaculture 6 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Rock dust Judanne Permaculture 12 26-12-2002 11:14 AM