Old 12-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Drew Lovasi

Default frozen pipes

Hay everyone, I leave my filter running in the winter, but with the brutal
winter Jersey is having the lines still froze. Any idea how to thaw them
out. Heat tape is my only idea so far. Any others.
Thanks
Drew

Old 13-02-2003, 12:25 AM
RichToyBox

Drew,

If they are exposed, such that you can get heat tape on them, then the use
of a heat lamp, or a propane torch (not too close to the pipe) will help to
thaw them out. Be careful on thawing. When water freezes, it expands about
8% and can generate upwards of 30,000 psi, which causes pipes to burst.
While it is frozen, there will be no leaks, but as soon as a split piece of
pipe thaws, it will go to leaking, and the pump can drain the pond. I would
just turn off the pump and leave it alone until it has thawed on its own,
and I had a nice weekend to keep an eye on things to turn it back on.
--
RichToyBox

.. .

Old 13-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Mrjkowal

Just go to Home Depot and get a small Halogen lamp. Put it near the frozen
pipe and turn it on. Those lamps generate tremendous heat and with the safety
grid on the face of them you may just keep from overheating something plastic,
like your pipe lines. John
Old 14-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Drew Lovasi

The lines are laying on the ground under rocks. Access is easy. I just never
expected moving water to freeze.

Drew

Old 16-02-2003, 05:51 AM

you are not the only one laboring under this misconception. Ingrid

"Drew Lovasi" wrote:

The lines are laying on the ground under rocks. Access is easy. I just never
expected moving water to freeze.

Drew

Safety of Copper Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 37 18-02-2004 02:12 PM
Pipes freezing? Dennis Clark Ponds 0 19-01-2004 04:20 PM
Frozen Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 05-02-2003 11:40 PM
re Frozen Pipes? John Rutz Ponds 0 05-02-2003 05:10 PM
Contigency Pipes for a Stream BenignVanilla Ponds 4 02-02-2003 01:53 AM