Old 03-04-2003, 02:44 AM
DesertPond

Default Need help identifying weird fish

I found this while cleaning out some string algae about 20 minutes
ago. The small bumps on it's face are too uniform to be ich or
bacterial infection. But as to what type of fish it is I have no idea.
It's about 2.5 - 3" long.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tapetrade

thx
Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 AM
K30a

Body shape it almost looks like a very, very
fuzzy rosie red minnow. What do you have in the pond? Could be a mixture of
whatever is in there.
Looks like it has a bit of colour.

k30a
Old 03-04-2003, 03:44 AM
zookeeper

Interesting looking fish. The bumps do seem to very uniform, but large.
Maybe check with local Fish & Wildlife to see if it's a local fish
that maybe came in with birds or pond plants.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond

Old 03-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Moontanman

It looks like a breeding male Rosy Red. the bumps are a sexual display.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 03-04-2003, 04:20 AM
K30a

Male Rosie Reds get bumps on their heads
during breeding time (gawd knows why! I don't find it attractive in the
least...)
I think their full name is Rosie Red Fathead
Minnows.
Robyn's web page has some info on them.
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/index.html

k30a

Old 03-04-2003, 04:56 AM
DesertPond

Hey thanks everyone! :-)

That's exactly what it is. This is my first spring with the pond, got
started late last summer so I haven't seen these guys in full spawning
mode until now. He's a big sob. lol

thanks again