GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The rain clear the green water???? Why??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/12856-rain-clear-green-water-why.html)

John 03-04-2003 06:32 PM

The rain clear the green water???? Why???

I have a 4 weeks old pond, the water is getting greener and greener
everyday , but after a rain yesterday morning (last about 20 minutes),
the water is almost crystal clear, I can even see the pond bottom
(about 4'5''), has anyone experienced it?
Is it because of the rain? or the weather (?) (the
temperature drop about 10 degrees)

I wish it rains more now. (in So Cal)

K30a 03-04-2003 07:44 PM

The rain clear the green water???? Why???

john wrote Is it because of the rain? or the weather (?) (the
temperature drop about 10 degrees)

I'd vote for temperature drop.
And starvation. The algae out stripped the pond's
ability to keep it fed.
Of course it is not totally gone and has newly dead
algae to feed upon.
Stuff lots of plants in your new pond.
Don't get carried away and add lots of fish.
Avoid over feeding the fish once you get them.
Buy a gazing ball and a couple decorative garden stakes to appease the local
garden gods.

k30a

Priscilla McCullough 04-04-2003 01:24 AM

The rain clear the green water???? Why???

What is a gazing ball?
Never heard of it.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

Snooze 04-04-2003 01:32 AM

The rain clear the green water???? Why???

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
What is a gazing ball?
Never heard of it.

I think it's a crystal ball, that gypsies use to tell the future.

Sameer

Gary Woods 04-04-2003 03:08 AM

The rain clear the green water???? Why???

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote:

What is a gazing ball?
Never heard of it.

Reflective ball on a stand, sort of the size of a bowling ball. Either
very lovely or the latest garden tchochki, take your pick.

LRobi31070 04-04-2003 03:44 AM

The rain clear the green water???? Why???

My nephew uses my mothers as a tee and ball.

[email protected] 04-04-2003 03:32 PM

The rain clear the green water???? Why???

that is what happens to 4 week old ponds. they clear. however, check the pH too.
Ingrid

(John) wrote:
I have a 4 weeks old pond,

BenignVanilla 04-04-2003 03:44 PM

wrote in message
that is what happens to 4 week old ponds. they clear. however, check the

pH too.
Ingrid

I don't know why...but that post made me laugh...I like the answer very
much.

"that is what happens to 4 week old ponds"...very nice...

BV.