GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tail eaters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/12902-tail-eaters.html)

BErney1014 04-04-2003 02:32 AM

tail eaters

Anyone ever experience something eating fishes tails and scraping the scales
off the sides? If so, what did it?
thx

mad 04-04-2003 02:32 AM

tail eaters

a plecostomus
mad
--
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built
the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

From: (BErney1014)
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: 04 Apr 2003 01:18:49 GMT
Subject: tail eaters

Lee Brouillet 04-04-2003 03:08 PM

tail eaters

Alternative to plecos, when you say "something eating fish tails", are you
talking about another critter or a disease? There's something called
fin/tail rot . . .

Lee

BErney1014 05-04-2003 01:32 AM

tail eaters

Alternative to plecos, when you say "something eating fish tails", are you
talking about another critter or a disease? There's something called
fin/tail rot . . .

Lee

I'm looking for an animal that could attack pond fish, remove tails, scrape off
scales and leave the fish to die. I have a suspect in the case but I'm trying
to see if anyone had a like experience. As it stands it's hard to believe if
it weren't for a witness and the dead fish.
thx

K30a 05-04-2003 05:08 AM

tail eaters

berney wrote
I'm looking for an animal that could attack pond fish, remove tails, scrape off
scales and leave the fish to die.

Raccoons will do that.

k30a

Jovon2723 06-04-2003 06:44 PM

tail eaters

Ducks! That's whar happened to me.:(
JS

BErney1014 15-04-2003 12:32 AM

tail eaters

Ducks! That's whar happened to me.:(
JS

Yup, it whar ducks! They chomped on the adult fish, breaking off tails, and
rubbed off scales down to flesh. (Fish died from shock without their skin.)
They also ate every small fish in another pond.
Thanks for the replies, watch out fo' ducks. ;-(