Old 14-02-2003, 05:03 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

Default HOW SAFE ARE TURTLES IN PONDS??!!

I am interested in adding 2 additions to my pond this spring. Was thinking of
getting two Red Ear Sliders. I know they are good for my area cause someelse
has them in their pond.. But I was wondering How safe are the Koi's with
turtles??

Are Turtles to agressive with Koi's?? What about turtles diseases, etc. that
maybe the turtles carry or vice versa??

Thanks,

Sacha
Old 14-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Cleveland Ponder

It depends on the size of the fish. I have two RES turtles. When
young, they tend to be more carnivorous. As they get older, they are
more omnivorous leaning more heavily toward the vegetarian side. They
will eat small fish (up to about 2") if they can catch them. It
somewhat depends on what else is available for them to eat. I supply
mine with feeder goldfish. It gives them something to suppliment
their diet and provides them with something to do. I can't comment on
turtle desease problems as I haven't had any problems. I do know that
both turtles and fish can get ick. As with most species, if they are
provided with a healthy environment and diet, it shouldn't be a
problem. I feed my turtles cat food predominately, but also give them
spinach, dandelion greens when available, cantelope & honeydew melon
and pineapple. Be aware that they will overeat if provided with
unlimited food. They are worse beggars than my dog.

Old 14-02-2003, 07:51 PM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I tried to email you on your response, but it came back as undelievable.

Would there be a way to disinfect the turtles??

Well all my fish are at least 5" before winter! I have seen one of them and it
looked like it double in size.

What do you use as a ramp, what's your pond setup???

Thanks in advance,

Sacha
Old 26-02-2003, 06:03 AM
Mrkoiguy

I have had tutrle in ponds with fish before. They are safe with Koi ( Short
finned types) as they are fast enough to not get caught, unless fish is sick.
They did eat my long fin goldfish types though. Also, yes some diseases &
parasites may be carried in by turtles to koi. Get quarantine them same as you
should any new fish & plants.

The Koi Guy