Old 27-02-2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default POND squirrel free bird feeder

Saw this at a Home & Garden Show on Friday:
http://tinyurl.com/s3wyw Scroll down
Has the video, pretty cute. I found the Cable/DSL connection gave me the
clearest picture. YMMV. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 27-02-2006, 12:53 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"~ janj" wrote in message
Saw this at a Home & Garden Show on Friday:
http://tinyurl.com/s3wyw Scroll down
Has the video, pretty cute. I found the Cable/DSL connection gave me the
clearest picture. YMMV. ~ jan

At my old house, i used to have a bird feeder hung about 3" back from the
gutter under the eave. The tree rats would try and get to it but usually
ended up falling off the roof instead. Seems to me, like everything else in
real estate, location, location, location is more important then cute
designs.

I had one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RM41M/

At my new house, I couldn't find a similar location, so the tree rats
eventually got to it. Even though they couldn't chew through the lexan,
their activities were usually sufficient to spill enough seed to fill them
up. My current feeder is pole mounted caged feeder.
http://tinyurl.com/m932s

The cage design keeps the squirrels out, and mount location prevents them
from shaking the cage to get at the seed inside.

Old 27-02-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:53:38 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

At my old house, i used to have a bird feeder hung about 3" back from the
gutter under the eave. The tree rats would try and get to it but usually
ended up falling off the roof instead. Seems to me, like everything else in
real estate, location, location, location is more important then cute
designs.

I had one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RM41M/

At my new house, I couldn't find a similar location, so the tree rats
eventually got to it. Even though they couldn't chew through the lexan,
their activities were usually sufficient to spill enough seed to fill them
up. My current feeder is pole mounted caged feeder.
http://tinyurl.com/m932s

The cage design keeps the squirrels out, and mount location prevents them
from shaking the cage to get at the seed inside.

DH got me one this Xmas that the outside slides downward, closing off the
openings, if anything more than a couple birds' worth of weight gets on it.
Since I feed both birds, squirrels, and do extreme bird feeding when the
occasional hawk comes thru, the squirrels are welcome. :-) We probably
won't have any more 4 legged in/outside pets, once the old dog passes on.
16.5 years and counting. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 27-02-2006, 01:18 AM posted to rec.ponds
~Roy~

Tree rat I assume is a squirrel....

Squirrels, nothing but a rat with social acceptance..
We have a pet grey squirrel who is a barrel of laughs. Let it outside
and when the sun goes down the thing hangs on the window screen
begging to get left in so she can go to bed............Tried all last
year to get the thing to leave, but it looks like its here to stay
now....It was born with a day of Hurricane Ivan and I ofund it on the
ground all soaking wet naked and pink and cold. Did not give it much
hope to survive but she did just ifne...It was bout as big as a half a
vienna sausage.....It even rides on the german shepherd and tantalizes
the other dogs, all of who get along with her just fine.

We put all our bird feeders on steel posts or hang from limbs with
wire and guards.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:53:38 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

m...

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....