Old 05-04-2003, 04:20 PM
John Rutz

Default she dances at night

this has'nt been posted for a while I kinda thought it was time again

It all started because of Sushi. She didn't have that name then, she
didn't have a name at all. Just a feeder comet 8 for a buck at the
local pet store. Bought her to feed to an albino Oscar named Ernie,
who did have a name and also quite an appetite. Nothing was special
about Sushi, except that Ernie didn't eat her like he did all the
other comets. Perhaps Ernie wanted some company, since he was all
alone in his tank, and suppressed his hunger to keep this
not-so-special comet as a pet. Bigger and bigger grew Sushi over the
next few seasons, so big that I worried that Ernie might change his
mind about having her as a pet and kill her instead as a fair-sized
rival. So to her own tank went Sushi, and a few other fish to keep her
from being lonely as her former master.

Sushi kept growing, and I moved her in turn to larger and larger
tanks. By now she was starting to become a little bit special to me,
having been with me so long, though I still had no urge to name a fish
of such humble heritage. Not quite a pet, but still something to be
cared for and watched for signs of hunger or distress.

Something about Sushi kept calling to me at times, even though I had
no idea what that call might be. Over the next few years, as Sushi
continued to flourish with only a few sad days when her former master
Ernie passed away, her calling to me grew stronger. She transformed
into a robust and elegantly finned beauty, nothing like I had ever had
in one of my tanks before. Too large, I thought. Too large to live in
four glass walls in spite of all my rearranging to accommodate her as
well as I could. And still she called to me, and still I felt her call
but did not understand.

A few months ago, while at a birthday party for my father at my
childhood house, I went next door to give best wishes to an old
neighbor. As we visited, he showed me some new exotic plants that he
was growing in his backyard ponds. Ponds. Ponds. Ponds. As we
approached the water, I saw lush hyacinths, lily pads, water iris and
parrot's feather. I knew the names of none of these, but how I
marveled at their vivid waxy green and delicate fronds. And then among
the bulbous green boats and lacy sails I saw the fish. They came and
crowded and begged to be fed with little 'O' mouths and jumped and
writhed and wiggled and looked so alive and bright and. . . . happy.
Happy? Happy goldfish? How absurd! But there it was in front of me in
one bright orange and white and calico wriggling ball of delight. I
marveled aloud as my neighbor stooped with a handful of food and
dipped into the water and fed and fussed and petted. 'They love their
pond,' he said with a beaming smile. Their pond. Their pond. Their
pond. I have always had a great deal of pride on my tanks, and how
well I attend to my scaly pets, but at that moment I felt a flush of
shame. My fish didn't act like his, didn't act the way his did at all.
Could they possibly be. . . . unhappy? Just as absurd, but again,
right there in front of me. I thought of Sushi at that moment and
pictured her in my mind. A pond. A pond. A pond. A pond? Now after
patient years of calling out to me, I heard her! Now I understood! Now
I knew what to do!

The summer break from teaching school came a few weeks later, and then
it began. Digging by day and reading at night. Learning, digging,
learning, planning, learning, digging. Every shovel full was a little
closer to the answer for my silently calling Sushi. And call she
did....... A Pond, A Pond, A Pond. I hear you now, little fish, and
I'm working as fast as I can. A few weeks later and 5 cubic yards of
earth were missing, and in their place was one thousand gallons of
water and sweat surrounded by 10,000 pounds of rock. Not yet time for
Sushi, though, for first the plants and then the 8 for a buck cheapies
to cycle and then to see if it all will work the way I have learned it
must. And still she calls...... A Pond, A Pond, A Pond.

A few weeks later it all looks good. Now. Net her, into the bowl of
tank water, and then to float the bowl in the pond. And now, the
moment of truth. In she goes! A look around, a little wiggle of the
fins, a longer look around, a longer wiggle of the fins, and then a
trip around the edge to explore her new and non-rectangular world. A
few days later I noticed that she was pushing the hyacinths around and
coming to the top and splashing with her fins like a porpoise. I asked
the mailman if his did that. See, he had started stopping by and
eating his lunch in my front yard when he had a little time on his
route..... he has a pond. He said that his did that, too. I asked him
if that meant that the fish was happy. He said he thought that's what
it meant. Then, then I gave her a name. Sushi. Former Oscar food
promoted to Oscar pet and gradually gliding into my heart so she could
patiently, patiently call to me. She reached me. I did it. Happy fish.

Tonight, though, tonight made me cry. Stupid, silly me, it's just a
fish I tell myself but seeing what I saw her do I just couldn't help
but weep from some strong emotion I just can't quite name. You see,
today I put some lights around the edge of her pond, partly so I could
see the fish at night, which I told my wife, and partly to keep me
from accidentally kicking some of the larger rocks in the dark, which
I didn't tell my wife. In the box with the path lights was a little
spotlight, so I stuck it in the rocks by the ripple going into her
pond and turned it so the light was on the water. As night came on I
washed and ate and took a nap and then went back out to see the
lights, and there she was. Staying right in the glow of that little
spotlight she swam, and circled, and looped, and wriggled. I wondered
that maybe she was hungry, so I tossed a few pellets on the water. No,
not interested, not hungry. She just kept swimming, and circling, and
looping, and wriggling, staying in the glow of that light -- then she
called to me. Happy. Dancing. Happy. Dancing. Then I cried.

In her pond, she dances at night.

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 05-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Just Me \Koi\

John,

This is the first time I've read this! What a wonderful and delightful
writing.

You made my day, probably my weekend. Thanks for sharing.

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 05-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Nedra

John ... thanks for the posting. We who enjoy this story owe
Banjo of Alabama ... What an author, eh?
Anyone have his website?

Nedra

Old 05-04-2003, 07:44 PM
John Rutz

"John Rutz" wrote in message

this has'nt been posted for a while I kinda thought it was time again

Thanks Nedra I have added his name as Author to my copy

Old 10-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Spectre

I don't know if you remember me. I haven't posted in a long time. I'd say
about 2 years ago I started and hung around religiously while I learned and
built, and learned and rebuilt. And learned and rebuilt. :P I hung around
throughout my pregnancy. I love my pond, and had dreams of my little girl
with me out there, watching the fish and frogs, daydreaming, relaxing,
playing. I gave birth that October, and my little girl passed away at 11
days old. I stopped posting, except for one here and there.

Over the past year and a half since then, I've lost 4 pets, and in recent
weeks miscarried my second little one. The most peaceful place I have found
is beside my pond, watching my fish and frogs.

I just wanted to say thank you so much for this story. I cried! It's so
beautiful.

Thanks John.

--
Spectre

Old 10-04-2003, 05:56 AM
jammer

Sorry about your losses, john. Ponds do have a tranquility to
them..seems to help.

Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Spectre, I'm so sorry for your losses. I remember when you lost your little
girl, but didn't know about the others. I never know what to say at times
like this, but keep the faith, Kid: sooner or later things WILL get better.
It's nice that you have the pond to sit by: I realized how calming it can be
during 9/11. May Peace and Joy find you . . .

Old 10-04-2003, 05:08 PM
John Rutz

Spectre wrote:
[...]

your welcome we have missed you May you have a much better year ahead

--

John Rutz

the green is grassing the leaves are treeing
I'm happy

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 10-04-2003, 10:56 PM
zookeeper

Welcome back, Spectre. My condolences on your losses. I hope your pond
continues to give you peace and relaxation. Hang in there, and keep
posting. I'm sure you have much to add to the group.
--
Kathy, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond

Old 11-04-2003, 07:08 PM
~ jan

Spectre, so sorry to hear about your losses. May you have a better year
ahead and to come. ~ jan

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~