Old 06-04-2003, 08:08 AM

Default filters and pumps need advice

I posted this on the garden.pond.chat earlier...

Hi All, We have added another larger pond to our already existing one
(6x7..about 25 inches deep) The new one is 8x8 and about 36 inches deep at
the deepest point. Our goal is to have the larger "upper" pond flow into the
"lower" smaller pond thru a spillway. We would like to have the pump in the
smaller pond drawing the water to a biofilter that empties into the larger
pond thus overflowing into the smaller one. I have figured that together the
ponds are a little over 2000 gal. I have looked around my small town and it
seems that the home improvement stores are about the only option for pumps
and filters. My question is does anyone have the "Little Giant" brand
products and have they worked well for you??? Also for my setup the cost
will be about $450.00. Should I go online and perhaps get a different brand.
Does this seem like a good price for the product quality??
Thanks for any info you can provide.
By the way I live in NW TN near the KY border

Tina Breeds

USNMC Rescue
http://www.neorescue.org/
vsit my webshots page to see my pictures
http://community.webshots.com/user/tityger
Animals are Kind to Dumb People

Old 06-04-2003, 04:09 PM
John Rutz

--
I have a little giant it has lasted 4 yrs some have had no luck at all
with them

I also have my main pumps mag drives

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 07-04-2003, 10:32 PM
ande

I have 2 little giant pumps that I started up last spring and they have ran
every day since. They ran through the snow and ice all winter. They sit in
a homemade filter basket that I created and have sometimes been negligent
cleaning out... and still they run. I'm in central NC.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:44 AM
LRobi31070

My Mothers little giant only ran for 3 months and quit, but they are great to
do business with.They let me exchange it without a receipt to their factory.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:44 AM
zookeeper

We have a Little Giant pump (can't remember model number or gph, but
it's something similar to 3400 gph 6E-CIM or 9E-CIM). It has been in our
pond (3500gal) since spring 1997, and running continuously since then
except for only one 3-month period of down time (because we had a leak
outside the pond that we had to find and repair). It was around $200
when we purchased it; I'm sure the electricity to run it is more
expensive than some, but it was the only local option of that capability
that was available when we needed it. Hope to replace it with a pump
that's more economical to run this summer, but kid's new swimming pool
may be in line first. ;-) But do look around for pumps that require
less power to operate -- there are many more to choose from than there
were in 1997. And shopping online probably will be better for you since
there's so little available locally.
--
Kathy, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond

wrote:
I posted this on the garden.pond.chat earlier...

Hi All, We have added another larger pond to our already existing one
(6x7..about 25 inches deep) ... We would like to have the pump in the
smaller pond drawing the water to a biofilter that empties into the larger
pond thus overflowing into the smaller one. ... it

Old 12-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Bob G.

I gave up on little Giant Pumps 7 or 8 years ago... They
work but I found they do not last more then a couple of
years. I now use magi-pumps or whatever Lilly Pons
sell at their retail store in Maryland ( I am only 15
minutes away)..and the current pumps are all over 5 years
old and run 24/7 from April thru October....but are left in
the pond year round...
Only a couple of moving parts...

I have 2 ponds outside, plus 1 inside and a small
fountain that hangs on a wall ... Pump problems just went
away after I stopped buying The Little Giant pumps...

Just my 2 cents....

Bob Griffiths
Old 12-04-2003, 06:56 PM
LRobi31070

That is what i am afraid of. I bought a Little Giant pump for my mother
because they are local (OK). It worked 3 months and now i am waiting on them
to send me a replacement. I am afraid I will always have trouble out of it.
Old 13-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Don Cunningham

There are two problems with the most commonly available Little Giant pumps.
One is their electricity consumption. Depending on the size they use 5 or 6
times the electricity of a mag drive pump (Supreme brand name). The other
is that they usually use a sealed reservoir of oil to cool the motor.. This
works fine until the seal fails. Then the pump is worthless and there is oil
in your pond. The reason they are so easy to exchange is that they had so
many fail they couldn't keep up with the paperwork.

drc
[...]

Water Butts Tanks and Filters, Pumps Etc. Conor Marketplace 0 03-06-2011 01:07 PM
Winter pumps and filters...... Zebulon Ponds 6 06-01-2007 12:03 AM
Pumps and filters crclark Ponds 5 24-06-2003 05:32 AM
pumps and filters flexon Ponds 2 21-06-2003 11:56 PM
filters and pumps..need advice Ponds (alternative) 4 17-04-2003 11:44 AM