Old 15-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Ken

Default Flying Goldfish

I just watched a hawk swoop down and grab the last of my goldfish (I had
only two) and fly away with it. An awesome, if somewhat disheartening,
sight. Must be the same hawk who left bird guts and feathers in my front
yard.

Old 15-02-2003, 09:51 PM
jammer

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:23:09 -0500, "Ken"
wrote:

I just watched a hawk swoop down and grab the last of my goldfish (I had
only two) and fly away with it. An awesome, if somewhat disheartening,
sight. Must be the same hawk who left bird guts and feathers in my front
yard.

I don't feed the doves around here anymore. TWICE i have seen a hawk
come down and get one while eating the seed i put out. It is kinda
awesome to watch though. The strike apparently killed the doves and
then they were defeathered and the meat was taken off in strips. When
it saw me, it left taking it's kill with it.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 16-02-2003, 12:15 AM
K30a

You've got to be careful how
you handle a protected bird of prey.
Call your local Fish and Wildlife
office and see what your options
are.

k30a
Old 16-02-2003, 01:27 AM
jammer

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003 19:30:15 -0500, "Barry"
wrote:

Have a freind who had a small dog picked up by an Eagle about 35 miles past
Vail, CO.

I was transplanted from los angeles to oklahoma one time. I was
sitting out front with my poodle playing my guitar. I saw a shadow,
looked up and here came a huge bird after my dog! I bashed it with my
guitar just out of reflex. (I would never intentionally hurt anything)
The guitar cracked but the bird flew off.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 16-02-2003, 08:03 PM
K30a

Segun wrote May I suggest against calling the fish and games people.......If
it dies,
wrap it in a tight bag and

No, no, no!
Call the fish and game people.
Or, at the very LEAST, find out
what fines and jail time you could
be facing for injuring/killing a bird
of prey.
And while you are at it, research a little
about the injuries you can recieve by
handling such a bird. I know of a man who
is crippled for life by handling a 'tame'
bird who was part of a public education
program.

k30a

Old 17-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Nedra

A strange thing happened in my Fully Netted pond this winter. The netted
area was about 20 x 20; the net was attached to the deck overhang. Small
birds kept getting trapped under the netting and the pond. None of the them
drowned but only because I was at home and able to net them out.
Then one day a Hawk got tangled up inside the net.
He was flailing around something fierce - Then fell into the pond on his
back. I started ripping the net off but caught the hawk's eyes beaded on
me .. I held his glare and finally got the net torn off. The bird was about
20 feet from me. Once I got the net free he
was able to right himself and scramble onto the rocks.
The weather was not good for wet a bird - way below
zero. He flew up into a high tree and perched there
while the sun dried him. I was transfixed ... watching
him from the window. The look in that hawk's eyes
is still with me. He was pleading with me for help.

Nedra

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
May I suggest against calling the fish and games people. If you do, then
you may become a target for them if any protected bird was to meet with
unfortunate accident in your area.
Net your pond, and if one gets caught in the net help it out. If it dies,
wrap it in a tight bag and ..........................

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Old 17-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Mac Knight

What a great story, Nedra. Thanks for sharing it. You did that hawk a great
service and took a big risk.

Mac Knight

http://www.macknight.addr.com

hlink.net...

Old 17-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nedra wrote:
[...]

Hi Nedra,
I have released netted birds also, but never a hawk. A
small bird will just try to escape from you as much as
escaping from the net. Releasing a hawk must have been
scary for you as well as for him. Good job!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Nedra

I never felt in any danger. He was on his back flapping his
wings .........soon as I stared back at him and made cooing
noises he settled down - - waiting for me to cut and tear away
the net. That is what is strange about the whole encounter...
we were communucating.

Nedra

Old 18-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Laura Linz

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:02:02 GMT, "Nedra"
wrote:

I never felt in any danger. He was on his back flapping his
wings .........soon as I stared back at him and made cooing
noises he settled down - - waiting for me to cut and tear away
the net. That is what is strange about the whole encounter...
we were communucating.

Nedra

Wow! I've had similar experiences with injured dogs. Sometimes they
seem to understand that you're trying to help them. (Other times they
try to bite your face off!) It must have been something to see that
poor hawk struggling. Good job rescuing him.
Laura