Old 21-03-2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Fishmate ratings might be misleading if you don't understand.

I have been shopping for a Fishmate filter and have found that the true
size of what I need can vary more than a little. The filter is
designed for an ideal situation, but if your pond gets 100% sunshine,
or you have a lot of fish, or even a dirty class of fish, you could be
looking at a 1000 gallong filter for a 220 gallon pond. other factors
include plants, type, and quantity. The safe bet is to go bigger than
you think, it will not hurt you, while going smaller can be at least a
major source of work. The worst could be that your water is never clean
no matter how much you try to keep after it.
If you are an expert and you want to correct me, go ahead, I am not
offended by people who know more than I, I try to learn from it.

Old 21-03-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Moments before spontaneously combusting at
was heard opining:
If you are an expert and you want to correct me, go ahead, I am not
offended by people who know more than I, I try to learn from it.

=================
If you're going to keep koi or goldfish in your pond then get the largest
filter your wallet will allow. I learned that the hard way.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 22-03-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

Why don't yopuu pond folks just infuse fresh water at a constant
but slow rate nd let the overflow bleed off? That's what poeple
with 100+ aquariums do. Then you barley need a filter.

Ever notice pics of discus breeders tanks that MUSt have the cleanest
water possible? They have like 1 sponge filter in a 60 gal tank. What
you don't see is the overflow and continuous water gong into it.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 22-03-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Why don't yopuu pond folks just infuse fresh water at a constant
but slow rate nd let the overflow bleed off? That's what poeple
with 100+ aquariums do. Then you barley need a filter.

Unless people have their own wells that's cost prohibitive.

Ever notice pics of discus breeders tanks that MUSt have the cleanest
water possible? They have like 1 sponge filter in a 60 gal tank. What
you don't see is the overflow and continuous water gong into it.

$$$$$

Old 22-03-2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Richard Sexton wrote:

Why don't yopuu pond folks just infuse fresh water at a constant
but slow rate nd let the overflow bleed off? That's what poeple
with 100+ aquariums do. Then you barley need a filter.

Ever notice pics of discus breeders tanks that MUSt have the cleanest
water possible? They have like 1 sponge filter in a 60 gal tank. What
you don't see is the overflow and continuous water gong into it.

Some people do. One of the biggest problems is raccoons. I lost count of
the number of people on this group who've had automatic top-up systems
ruined by coons - with a resulting massive influx of chlorinated water.

The other thing is that people with 100+ 15 gallon aquariums are
obsessive :-) They don't really care about the cost. Someone with a
1500gallon pond, otoh, is just small-time, and with the cost of metered
water in some places an adequate replacement rate (at least 400g/wk) seems
like a lot.
--
derek