GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Concealing liner, or how to make seal above liner? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/141899-concealing-liner-how-make-seal-above-liner.html)

wilko 03-04-2006 02:58 PM

Concealing liner, or how to make seal above liner?

Hi All

I've just made and filled a pond. This one is going to be a fairly formal pond, and now has slabs cemented in around the edge.

The slabs are above the water level obviously, but I want to conceal all the liner. Problem is that I don't want the water in contact diorectly with the cement because it isn't sealed. So the question is, what should I use to make a waterproof seal all around the pond, above the liner and just below the slabs so that no liner is showing?

If anyone could recommend a product or technique I would be very grateful.

Wilko (Berkshire, UK)

[email protected] 03-04-2006 07:50 PM

Concealing liner, or how to make seal above liner?

normally the liner is sandwiched. see here
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/etc/lineredge.gif

wilko wrote:

Hi All

I've just made and filled a pond. This one is going to be a fairly
formal pond, and now has slabs cemented in around the edge.

The slabs are above the water level obviously, but I want to conceal
all the liner. Problem is that I don't want the water in contact
diorectly with the cement because it isn't sealed. So the question is,
what should I use to make a waterproof seal all around the pond, above
the liner and just below the slabs so that no liner is showing?

If anyone could recommend a product or technique I would be very
grateful.

Wilko (Berkshire, UK)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

BoyPete 03-04-2006 08:42 PM

wilko wrote:

Hi All

I've just made and filled a pond. This one is going to be a fairly
formal pond, and now has slabs cemented in around the edge.

The slabs are above the water level obviously, but I want to conceal
all the liner. Problem is that I don't want the water in contact
diorectly with the cement because it isn't sealed. So the question
is, what should I use to make a waterproof seal all around the pond,
above the liner and just below the slabs so that no liner is showing?

If anyone could recommend a product or technique I would be very
grateful.

Wilko (Berkshire, UK)

How about this edging?
http://www.arghamvillage.co.uk/produ...nd_edging.html
not cheap though. :)
--
ßôyþëtë

sean mckinney 04-04-2006 09:54 PM

Re edging a pond, you might like to browse the following pages
http://www.koicymru.co.uk/constructb4.htm
http://www.koicymru.co.uk/const12c.htm
http://www.koicymru.co.uk/const12a.htm

As a quick answer I would say that providing you let the cement set (3 days or more) before there is any chance of residue being washed into the pond and that once it has set you scrub and wash off the surface and vacuum out the washings then you dont really have that much to worry about. That is especially true if your water is alkaline anyway. Why? because the exposed surface area of the cement isnt large and once set most of the alkali is within the body of the cement. Note however that it would be better if the flagstones also slope away from the pond so that rain water doesnt run off the paving into the pond.

That said I personally would most likely cast an at least 4" deep x 9" wide concrete collar around the edge of the pond as a foundation for the inner edge of the flagstones. Once that had set I would trim the liner flaps to about 4 to 5 inches in width and then dry layout all the flagstones. Then lift the flagstones and put about 1/2" of cement on top of the collar, whilst the cement was soft drape the liner onto it. Then I would immediately lay the cement into which I was going to bed the flagstone and that includes over the liner flaps and bed the flagstones into that cement.
Why go to all that bother? It gives the pond a solid edge and the liner cement sandwich protects the liner. Things to watch for, cement extruding into the pond, that needs to be vacuumed out asap. Also that no extruded cement ridges and formed between the liner and the side of the collar. The latter could be prevented by covering the say the inner 1/2 to 1/3 of top of the collar with a strip of plastic sheet which projects into the pond BEFORE the cement is applied to the collar. Once the cement is laid on the collar and over the 'edge' of the plastic, the plastic is folded back over the cement and the liner laid in place. Trim the plastic to match the liner flap and proceed as before.

Concrete repairs 05-04-2006 06:23 AM

Concealing liner, or how to make seal above liner?

Hi Wilko
As the unsealed concrete will sweat behind the liner and be in contact
directly with the concrete I would suggest the use of Drizoro Products,
in particular the Drizoro Maxseal
and, if want to seal the edge of the liner, which I would image is
fixed to the concrete edge I would use Drizoro Maxseal flex & MAXMESH
or MAXFLEX XJS
http://www.swepdri.com.au/index.php
Ian M

[email protected] 05-04-2006 09:44 AM

Concealing liner, or how to make seal above liner?

Thanks everyone. Some useful ideas.