GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   bare root lilies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/141920-bare-root-lilies.html)

CanadianPonderŠ 03-04-2006 04:13 PM

bare root lilies

I just wanted a review on doing this. I believe Derek had some good
points on the advantages of planting lilies bare root.

Some of my questions are :

How do you fertilize ?
What type of fertilizer to use ?
How do you keep them in place ?

Thanks ! :)

DavidM 03-04-2006 05:25 PM

bare root lilies

CanadianPonderŠ wrote:
I just wanted a review on doing this. I believe Derek had some good
points on the advantages of planting lilies bare root.

Some of my questions are :

How do you fertilize ?
What type of fertilizer to use ?
How do you keep them in place ?

Thanks ! :)

I've not got the answers, but thought I might add some questions:

My lilies have been producing their new shoots for about two weeks, they
are only 1" long at present. Would it be OK to remove all the soil and
go bare-root now? UK spring has just about sprung where I am in East Anglia.

How does the plant root in the wild, is it into the pond bed, or as a
mat on the surface?

Could the plant be weighted in a garden pond and allowed to grow
straight on the liner?

cheers
DavidM

Derek Broughton 03-04-2006 05:30 PM

bare root lilies

CanadianPonderŠ wrote:

I just wanted a review on doing this. I believe Derek had some good
points on the advantages of planting lilies bare root.

Some of my questions are :

How do you fertilize ?

I don't.

What type of fertilizer to use ?

See above :-)

How do you keep them in place ?

I tend to wrap a bit of copper wire loosely around the lily and a rock. The
bigger the rock, the less often you have to divide the lily (because the
lily pads & stalks are bouyant enough to lift the rock off the pond bottom,
eventually). I use copper wire purely because I have large amounts of it
lying around at any time. It's not the best thing to be using in a pond
(copper being toxic to invertebrates).
--
derek

Derek Broughton 03-04-2006 05:58 PM

bare root lilies

DavidM wrote:

CanadianPonderŠ wrote:
I just wanted a review on doing this. I believe Derek had some good
points on the advantages of planting lilies bare root.

Some of my questions are :

How do you fertilize ?
What type of fertilizer to use ?
How do you keep them in place ?

Thanks ! :)

I've not got the answers, but thought I might add some questions:

My lilies have been producing their new shoots for about two weeks, they
are only 1" long at present. Would it be OK to remove all the soil and
go bare-root now? UK spring has just about sprung where I am in East
Anglia.

I'd not have a problem with that. I tend to do my dividing in spring when
the water's still too cold to be wading in - ie, probably about equivalent
to right now for you.

How does the plant root in the wild, is it into the pond bed, or as a
mat on the surface?

It'll root right into the bottom.

Could the plant be weighted in a garden pond and allowed to grow
straight on the liner?

Sure.
--
derek

~ janj 03-04-2006 08:41 PM

bare root lilies

I use copper wire purely because I have large amounts of it
lying around at any time. It's not the best thing to be using in a pond
(copper being toxic to invertebrates).

Since most ponds are on the alkaline side, probably not a problem. I'd
worry more about the ends, either stepping on it and puncturing my liner or
my foot. Ouch! ;o) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a